Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scotts red mulch hurt or help?

Posted by timmyorganic east central IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 9, 09 at 22:17

I have 5 tomato plants that are about 2 foot tall. I just replanted them in a bed of miracle grow veggie safe sand and ordinary top soil. When I got done I use scotts red mulch to cover the soil will they be ok or should I remove the mulch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scotts red mulch hurt or help?

Mulch is actually a great way to keep the soil moist and weed free. Just don't pack it against the tomato stems as that is known to cause problems-leave a couple inches back.

o
RE: scotts red mulch hurt or help?

I actually have also had a question about this, will using colored or treated mulch leach chemicals into the plants? I see in pictures people using mulch on top of the earthtainers, but was hesitant to use any mulch, especially in earth tainers, because whatever is leached out is just going to keep getting recycled

o
RE: scotts red mulch hurt ?

Never have I seen any damage to plants with the use of colored mulches. They've been out for quite some time and if there were a problem it would have gotten circulated by now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here