Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Fertilizers...

Posted by fireduck 10a (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 22:19

There is much discussion and some disagreement on tomatoe fertilizers. I grow in containers. Many people have their secret blends of major and minor elements and "complete" fertilizers.Today I bought a shaker of the MiracleGro granular/time released tomato fertilizer. I know a lot of people bad-mouth the MG products. However, when I look at the ingredients...I see it is much more of a "complete" fertilizer than some that are being recommended. The minor elements and calcium convinced me this product has quality. I do not wish to turn my garage into a total pharmacy....haha. I have also been encouraged by a liquid fertilizer (complete) that is highly touted on another container growing forum. It is called Foliage Pro.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Fertilizers...

No need for a pharmacy. What you have will be fine for container-grown tomatoes.

o

Aside from other view and issues(MG, organic), I think that TIME RELEASE fertilizer fits best for pot/container growing, because it will leach out at much slower rate.

o

S...the time-release aspect appeals to me, as well. Less chance of burn...and does not dissipate quickly and fall through drain holes.

o

I think tomato is no different from any other fruits bearing garden veggies. It requires all the basic ingredient (all purpose) early on and later less "N" and more "P" and some "K" when starts setting fruits.

I have seen pictures of towering tomato plants. And I think I know how that happens.

o

Ideally you would want to vary the fertilizer amount and makeup as your growing and fruiting season progresses since plant nutrient needs change and you can find specificic recommendations for tomatoes from various university hort websites. But I also like the idea of a slow release fertilizer for container gardens since research with most flowering plants shows an advantage of using them.

o

Actually, my 3 containers (Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, and Early Girl) are all healthy and giving good fruit. I am a bit surprised that the height of these only remains around 3-3 1/2 feet...with slow growth now (not complaining). My very un-scientific fertigation program (frequent apps of tomato tone, MG, and Foliage Pro) seems to be acceptable. I bet I could improve...just not sure how. I think the fast-draining mix is key...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here