Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question About Overwintering Tomatoes

Posted by minisambora none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 22:31

Ok so here is the deal I have been gardening in Phoenix for 4 years and last year I decided I am going to try and make it so I have tomatoes year round, and basically I have it figured out for the last year so this fall will be my first time replanting for this method. Long story short here is my question if I plant tomato seeds in late fall and cover them in just a plastic cover without to keep them from freezing will that be enough to keep them healthy till it warms up. The reason I ask is I know things like corn can get stunted growth if they are exposed to cold so as long as I keep the tomatoes from freezing they should be ok for the spring correct? Anyways I would have liked to explain more but I would have two more pages to write. Anyways thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question About Overwintering Tomatoes

I tried overwintering peppers couple years ago, mediocre success but I'm not sure winter in Phoenix is close enough to winter in CT to compare results. GL :)

o

Does it freeze in Phoenix ? .

o

On Overwintering tomatoes and peppers, just use indeterminate tomato varities, they live for many years if taken care of. I overwintered 6 pepper and 8 tomato plants, the cherry tomatoes never stopped producing even in winter while other went dormant and woke up like crazy. I would not pull out the healthy tomatoe plants this season, but prune them sometime in mid Jan to early Feb to stimulate growth, also fertilize at that time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here