Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnhelton

Impossible? Lost ID markers we made for Tomatoes? Can you ID fro

gnhelton
12 years ago

I can't. I can only id one.

We didn't really lose the name markers they just faded off in the seed starter tray and heat map.

We from planted from seeds for Brandywine, Rose, Moskvich, sun cherry, and mountain magic.

I'm not even really sure I took pictures of different types. Any help greatly appreciated.

For extra points can you spot the sakada I caught in flight in one of the photos.

Tom 1:

Tome2:

Tom3:

Tom4

Tom 5(brandywine. Yes?)

Comments (10)

• nordfyr315
    12 years ago

Pretty much impossible. Except the bottom is likely Brandywine since it is potato-leafed. If someone can accurately ID the other plants without seeing the fruit or even buds I would be impressed.

• Bets
    12 years ago

Hello gnhelton,

Normally I would tell you that identifying a tomato variety from a description is nearly impossible since taste is subjective and there can be a great deal of variance in appearance of a variety in different regions due the the influence of the myriad of factors in growing tomatoes.

But in this case, I can tell you it is impossible to tell you from the pictures you have posted which tomato is which, except I think the Brandywine you have is a potato leaf version which would appear to be the last picture you posted.

The good news is you may be able to tell once they are ripe, or in the case of Sun Cherry, when you have fruit. The Sun Cherry is of course a red cherry tomato, probably less than an inch or so in diameter. Mountain Magic is also a red tomato that is listed as 2-3 ounce in size and Moskvich is red and listed as 4-6 ounce in size.

The fruit of Brandywine is pink and listed to be 1-2 pounds in size, while rose is usually listed as 1/2 to 1 pound range.

Because the varieties you have listed have different characteristics, you may be able to determine which is which by the relative sizes of the fruit.

I hope that helps.

Betsy

• gnhelton
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, thanks y'all. So in other words, make better labels (g).

First year planting from seed and first year growing these varieties.

I guess Id'ing fruit will be the best option.. I may check back if/when I have fruit/vegetable(United States Supreme Court, see Nix v. Hedden)

• carolync1
    12 years ago

Staples now sells black Sharpies intended for laboratory use. They are heat and UV resistant. Much more resistant to fading than regular markers. Keep away from babies!

Still, the printing will fade after an entire season exposed to the sun and weather. I taped markers to the top of my wire supports with 3M UV-resistant painter's duct tape (greyish white) and the printing under the tape survived the entire year.

I used white plastic knives and spoons as markers. Printing will also survive if you bury the printed part. When placing markers in the ground, I print the name twice: once above and once below ground.

• karendee
    12 years ago

For my wintersowing labels and tomatoes I use a cut up mini blind and write on it with pencil.

I have plant markers from last season (been in the ground and under lots of snow) still working and not faded one bit. For some reason the pencil works great for me.

SOme also use paint pens.

Karen

• athenainwi
    12 years ago

I use paint pens. The writing seems to last years since some of the pots I was using this year still had labels from a few years ago written on them. You can find them at any craft store and they come in lots of colors if you like to color code them. I labeled the pots and when I planted them in the garden I wrote out a map that is on the kitchen table. I try to plant lots of different colors and sizes so even if I can't remember which plant the fruit came from I can figure out what it is.

• carolync1
    12 years ago

The map is a great idea.

• mrdoitall
    12 years ago

I also use a cut up mini blind and write on it with a pencil. I also keep a notebook of my garden with notes each year.

• eric30
    12 years ago

I cut strips from a plastic milk jug and use a sharpie

• k2marsh
    12 years ago

Next year make tags that last.
    I make Aluminum Foil tags that will last about seven years.

Click the link below to see how I make them.

Karyl

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructions for Aluminum Foil Tags