Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kelloggs Breakfast ?

Posted by Marshallkey none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 23:03

I started tomato seeds for the first this year . I'm think I might have messed up somehow when replanting the little seedlings into there bigger cups. I had about 15 different kinds of tomatoes .
I've never grown Kelloggs Breakfast so am not familiar with the plants . The plants in the garden are huge and beautiful, 5 feet tall already with 1 in. diameter stems. Yet something doesn't seem right. The blooms are in clusters of anywhere from 5 to 8 blooms . I cant imagine big tomatoes having blooms that close . I dont know how the plant would hold all that weight or how they would get that big clustered together like that .
Has anyone grown them and is it possible that they do grow in clusters like that ?
They look like cherry tomatoes clusters although I didnt start any cherry tomatoes.
I guess theres always the chance that the place I got my seeds from messed up on there seed packing also .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kelloggs Breakfast ?

Here is a pic of the blooms .

o

Just because there is a bunch of flowers, it doesn't mean that they will all be tomatoes. My beefsteak flowers bloom in bunches, but might only set 2-4 together. And yes, a cluster of 3 or 4 large tomatoes can get heavy and might need a little extra support.

o

Thx for the info edweather ! If in someway it is a Kelloggs Breakfast and all flowers do all make tomatoes would it possiblbly be a good idea to prune some of the blooms or some of the small tomatoes I've read that some growers do this on some plants to get bigger tomatoes. I'm not trying to win a giant tomato contest. I'm just hoping to get the natural production the plant will give.

o

If it is KB and you want natural production, then don't remove any blossoms at all.

I do keep such data and KB usually produces 2-3 large fruits/cluster with each fruit being a pound or more.

Carolyn.

o

I've had a cluster of 5 weigh about seven pounds. I strung up some extra support.

Gary

o

How is the flavor on this one ? I am considering growing it next year.

o

Some consider Kellogg's Breakfast to simply be the best.

In my garden, it is perhaps the one tomato variety with the most variability in flavor. It can be anywhere from good, to very good, to excellent, all from the same plant, with only about half a week between pickings.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here