Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20079505

Not sure about type of tomato

User
9 years ago

I am a brand new gardener.

I was given 3 tomato seedlings as a gift and told they were supposed to Kumato plants. I planted them in smart pots on my balcony a couple weeks ago and I assumed they were indeterminate, but now I am not so sure. They are not really growing as I would think an indeterminate would. In 3 weeks they grew from about 6 inches tall to 3-4 feet (I water about a gallon a day unless it rains). The plant has one thick main stem with everything growing off of that. So far I have been pruning suckers, but now I am not so sure. There have been 0 flowers so far and the plant seems to get noticeable larger daily. Is there any way to determine by appearance if it is DET or INDET? Should I just leave the suckers alone and let the plant do its own thing?

Also one last question. One of the plants had some black spots on a bunch of leaves on two lower branches. I cut them off and haven't seen anything since, though it was sad to cut them off. Can someone advise what it was and should i have amputated?

Comments (12)

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

Yes it's good you removed the bad branches. Yeah 3-4 feet tall with no flowers is a bit unusual. How and what are you feeding it? Is it possible to see a picture?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tried to get as good a picture as I could in the morning.

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

Those don't look much more than a foot and a half tall, and a gallon of water per day seems excessive. You might be rotting the roots.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

3-4 feet tall? I don't think so. Not from the picture anyway. You don't measure the pot, just the plant above the soil line.

Since Kumato is a hybrid it doesn't produce true from seed and the F1 seed is not available to the general public so most are growing F2 seeds they have saved from a purchased fruit. It's parentage is a patented secret apparently.

Of those growing the F2 seed most seem to find it grows more like a determinate or an ISI variety. For that reason I would stop removing any lateral branches (what you call 'suckers') as they will be the primary source of blooms and fruit.

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 11:25

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

Your plants look good. I also grow in containers and use either a bamboo kabob skewer or wooden dowel to determine if watering is necessary. Fortunately, Tomatoes are fairly forgiving about lack of watering. A couple of days ago one of my tomato plants began to wilt due to lack of water. 30 minutes after a good dousing it was good as new. Better too little water than too much water.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

The plants look ok so far. In addition to what Dave said the only part I would worry about keeping trimmed is the bottom six inches of the main stem. It helps to keep the plant more healthy, and gives good air circulation to the main stem. Also I agree with the consensus that daily watering is too much, and not needed. Even if it is hot every two to three days should be the most that is needed. Let the medium dry out a bit before watering. Also water the dirt, not the leaves. Try to keep them as dry as you can. Water on the leaves works like magnifying glass when the sun hits it.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I read somewhere that water droplets on leaves are too close on a leaf to act like a magnifying glass and cause a burn.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would have to agree they are more like 2 feet tall right now. I do not know where the kumato plant came from, but I doubt it was from seeds as this was a big gift from a non-gardener. I will tone down the watering to every 2-3 days. The pots in the picture are 15-gallon and about 60% full of potting mix. Should I top up the pots now and trim the bottom stems?

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Top up the pots yes but there is no need to trim the bottom stems up any further.

I do not know where the kumato plant came from, but I doubt it was from seeds as this was a big gift from a non-gardener.

It would be worth finding out where he got them then so you will know if they are actually Kumato F1 or not. As I said the seeds are rigidly controlled and available only to a few vetted commercial growers so the odds are it is not a true Kumato.

Dave

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I am growing just one Kumato from seeds. It started flowering much later than my other tomatoes. It grows with very few branching. The foliage in the picture doe not look like my Kumato. I am sure mine is Kumato b'c i planted the seeds from store bough tomato

I agree, your plants look about 2 ft tall .

ONE MORE THING: Its is said that Kumato is a hybrid. I will find out.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 14:26

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Kumato is a hybrid variety developed by Syngenta in Spain and Western Europe as a result (per Syngenta)

"Developed through the natural crossing of a wild and domestic tomato" (parentage unknown except by Syngenta).

and seed distribution is heavily controlled by the corporation to a group of highly corporate-vetted commercial growers in only a few countries (primarily Australia) for commercial sales.

It was marketed in the US only recently under a different name - Russo Bruno if I recall correctly - with the same controls on the seeds..

Lots of info available about it on the web.

Dave

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Below is a picture of my Kumato plant.

One this is for sure that it has a vine growing habit very much like cherry/grape tomatoe. Its branch stretch out very long and tall but the branches are thicker than cherry plants.

Since I planted mine as an experiment from store bought fruits, I am not sure what I will get. But so far the fruits are more plum shaped than round. The fruits that I bough were the size of a big cherry, maybe 2 oz each.

I wonder how OP's plants are doing, in terms of production and fruits shape/size.