Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbrowne_gw

Egg-shaped Black Cherry

mbrowne
10 years ago

Can anyone ID this problem? I had recently read about curly top virus in our area and this started happening. I'm guessing it's not salvageable?

{{gwi:1354131}}

{{gwi:1354132}}

{{gwi:1354133}}

{{gwi:1354134}}

Thanks for any help.

Comments (10)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Very nice. I like them.

• Bets
    10 years ago

Are you seeing "leafhoppers" on your tomato plants? Curly top virus is transmitted by them. Curly Top Disease of Tomato

I don't know that your tomatoes have Curly Top. To me it doesn't look like the plant in the link above, but I have not had any experience with the disease. The plant does look stressed. For another look at curly top, check this page Curly Top on Tomato Plant at Cornell's Vegetable MD Online.

To be able to suggest what might be wrong with your plant, it would be helpful to know more about the environment it is in. So, here are the "usual" questions:

How often do you water? Have you checked the moisture of the growing medium or soil 3-5" below the surface? Is it dry, just right, or soggy? Are you feeding the plant? How often? What are the NPK values of any fertilizers you are using to feed it? What has the weather been like in your area?

Have you used any amendments? Are there any other plants near the problem plant that are showing similar issues?

The more information you can give us, the better the chances that someone can give you an accurate diagnosis.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell's Vegetable MD Online

This post was edited by bets on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 8:42

• mbrowne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. Environment is the same as previous years- 4 plants in a 4'x4' raised bed, even watering, organic fertilizer added over the winter. Needs no supplemental fertilizing. Black Cherry did fine last year. The other 3 plants are a Husky Cherry Red, a Cherokee Purple, and a Delicious and are all doing fine. As can be seen in the pics, the leaves curl up then die, and the fruits elongate.

• fcivish
    10 years ago

I suspect you might not have a real Black Cherry there. I believe it might have been outcrossed. I have seen similar shaped fruit from outcrosses of Black Cherry in my own garden.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

I kind of agree with fcivish. My first impression is that they aren't Black Cherries, but that doesn't address what is wrong with the plant, which is a separate issue. Sorry, no input on that.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

It looks more like Black Plum.

• avocado101
    10 years ago

I grow black plums. This is my second year growing them. They look like my black plums.

How big are they? Put a quarter next to the picture or something, because they look bigger than cherry toms.

I'm not familiar with curly top virus, but black plums are heirloom. And I noticed that most of the heirlooms have curly leaves while hybrids do not.

This post was edited by Avocado101 on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 21:47

• ABlindHog
    10 years ago

mbrowne
    I bought a "Bonnie" a black cherry this spring and it looks exactly like yours, same fruit, same issues. When the fruit first appeared it was kind of fuzzy and decidedly plum shaped, I posted here about it under the topic Fuzzy Black Cherry.
    Yours looks to be a few weeks ahead of mine, Is your's from Bonnie as well?
    Mike

• avocado101
    10 years ago

Here's picture of my black plums. They are still green. They are egg shaped, and this is normal. Little bit larger than a quarter.

The second picture is a picture of sungold cherry tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes are smaller than a Quarter.

I planted them on April 1st.

• mbrowne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. If it's not really a Black Cherry I guess that would explain the elongation. And it was a Bonnie. It's not very tasty, and has a thick skin. Anyway, here's a shot for scale:
    {{gwi:1354135}}
    I plan to pull it and replace with another, maybe real, Black Cherry.