Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Odd tomatoes

Posted by 1psychotic nevada (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 23:16

My Roma tomatoes are all coming off the vine with the bottoms looking flat and rotted. does anyone know what causes this and how I might fox it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Odd tomatoes

It's called blossom end rot. You may be able to salvage the top of the tomato if the rot hasn't spread. It's a physiologic conditions caused by lack of calcium. It may not necessarily mean that your soil lacks calcium, but that your tomatoes are not taking enough in due to irregular watering or lack of magnesium. Epsom salts are sometimes recommended as a preventive measure. They can be watered into the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: blossom end rot

o

Epsom salt won't help.

The problem is that the plant isn't getting the calcium all the way to the end of the fruit.

The problem is erratic or uneven watering. Soil must be consistently moist.

The FAQ on this forum has the explanation
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/tomato/

Here is a link that might be useful: BER on FAQ

o

Epsom Salts ; I mix a Tablespoon to a gallon of water

o

Roma types are especially prone to BER.

o

Occasionally you'll find BER inside the tomato with no sign of a problem on the outside.

o
RE: Odd tomatoes - BER's possible reason.

While many internet sites state that BER is caused by calcium deficiency and watering/moisture stress, the BER itself seems to be directly caused by the undetached blossom from the fruit. Has anyone noticed that the dried blossoms of tomato flowers are usually attached on the tomatoes with BER, thereby causing moisture to be present at all times at the bottom of the fruit? I think the same reasoning applies to catfacing. The undetached flower blossom is not allowing the bottom part of the tomato to be cleanly close, as if human's navel would still have the umbilical chord would cause a problem if it did not dry well and detach itself. So I have been working on taking off the dried flower blossoms off the bottoms of my young tomatoes.

Possibly, calcium may aid in drying and detaching of the done blossoms, but in the meantime, I think removing and aiding the tomatoes to have a clean bottom may help.

o

Has anyone noticed that the dried blossoms of tomato flowers are usually attached on the tomatoes with BER?

No.

This is a problem with a known cause. See the FAQ, What is blossom-end rot? How can I prevent it?

o

"I think the same reasoning applies to catfacing."

NO!

the catfacing is pollination during cooler temps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here