Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

The EarthTainer 'Farm' - June 1 (pics) - - Topping Plants Already

rnewste
13 years ago

After a pretty dismal April and early May here in Northern California, we've warmed up a bit this past 2 weeks. Bloody Butcher looks like it will be my first plant to blush in a few weeks (we are perhaps 3 weeks behind last year due to the 2-times amount of rainfall we have had in 2010):

{{gwi:39834}}

My Paul Robesons are over 78 inches tall, and I will be topping them back to about 65 inches to encourage filling out in the middle of the plants:

{{gwi:39835}}

The German Red Strawberry likewise is over 72 inches and will be topped back to 65 inches tomorrow:

{{gwi:39836}}

Japanese Black Trifele is loaded with fruit:

{{gwi:39837}}

First time growing it this Season, so I am anxious to see the fruit shape and taste:

{{gwi:39838}}

The fertilizer trials are going well with Fertilizer "A" left, Fertilizer "B" center, and Fertilizer "C" on the right. All are identical Goose Creek plants:

{{gwi:39840}}

The over-wintered Bell Peppers are prolific, significantly ahead of the seed started ones from January (in the 'Tainer to the left):

{{gwi:39842}}

And the NuMex Heritage 6-4 Peppers are now flowering:

{{gwi:39843}}

Sweetcorn is kicking it with tassels now appearing:

{{gwi:39844}}

I am glad I stayed with 3 rows of 5 plants each as the stalks are quite robust:

{{gwi:39846}}

If I had crowded in more, they would have been less productive, I believe.

So as we are now into June when it starts to really warm up here, I am looking for about an inch a day of plant growth:

{{gwi:39848}}

I'll file another report in about 2 weeks, and by that time, I will possibly be "lost" in the jungle:

{{gwi:34092}}

Raybo

Follow-Up Postings:

Comments (14)

• az_pamperedchef
    13 years ago

Raybo-

That's impressive! Those plants look great.

Here I am in AZ and am growing 'maters and yet never once grew them in NorCal whenI lived there. What was I thinking?!?

AZ PC

• johnny_tomato_seed
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting Raybo. At least I can live through you for a while. I ended up pulling half my plants due to cold and neighbor watering his lawn every day to freeze and drown my plants.

Keep them coming. I am growing Black Trifele for first time as well and curious how they taste.

• ubergoober
    13 years ago

awesome pics Raybo!!!

• raisemybeds
    13 years ago

What a beautiful job you have done - congratulations on a primo garden!

• rnewste
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks folks. I dug out a picture from several years ago taken of my former raised bed at this time of year:

{{gwi:39849}}

I was blown away contrasting the maturity of the plants in the EarthTainers today vs. what I experienced back then.

Raybo

• catman529
    13 years ago

As always, your 'farm' looks amazing. So Paul Robeson is a big one for you too? It's one of my tallest plants and this is my first year growing it. How do you rate the flavor and production? I hope they're as big as the plant.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Catman,

From last year's growing, I would put Paul Robeson within my Top 5 category. Better (to me) than Cherokee Purple, but not quite as satisfying as Goose Creek.

Raybo

• catman529
    13 years ago

Thanks, sounds good to me (I grow Indian Stripe which is very good and supposed to taste exactly like CP). How do you compare it to Black Krim (another of my favorites?)

• rnewste
    Original Author
    13 years ago

catman,

Indian Stripe and Neves Azorean Red X Brandywine (NARX) are also in my Top 5. Only grew Black Krim once a while ago. Need to add it into my 2011 grow list.

Raybo

• star_stuff
    13 years ago

Looking at those pictures, you would never be able to tell that you had a dismal sprint, lol! It's a jungle already... amazing compared to the raised bed picture!

I'm anxious to get some fruit on my Japanese Black Trifele, as well. It's supposed to be a heavy producer, and not so big of a plant. But yours look huge, lol!

• rnewste
    Original Author
    13 years ago

star,

My concern is that it is ALREADY on its way to "jungle" foliage. Today I gave all of the "offending" plants a haircut down to 65 inches. I want to encourage more robust plant development in the lower and middle sections:

BTW, the sweetcon has started to tassel in a big way:

So I may get corn by July 4 for the dinner table.

Someone was asking about the over-wintered Peppers. Here is a full photo comparison between the two:

Guess I will be over-wintering many more Peppers this Season.

Raybo

• bigdaddyj
    13 years ago

Great pics! Awesome tomato plants! I am interested how your corn matures planted so closely together like that though...

• rnewste
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bigdaddyj,

Actually, I space my corn stalks considerably further apart than most of the EarthBox users do. Their instruction is 2 rows of 8 stalks per row. The EarthTainer is twice as large from a volume standpoint, and I am happy with 3 rows of 5 stalks each. Could I squeeze in more - probably - - but Quality is better than Quantity of ears produced.

Raybo

• bigdaddyj
    13 years ago

Very interesting to me. I'm trying to get maximum corn production in minimum raised bed space and I too prefer quality. Thanx for the pics. Can you take another pic just before first harvest?