Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

My tomatoes (photos)

CaraRose
9 years ago

My garden is growing like mad--

Yeah, I have six toms in that little 2x3 bed, pruned to 1-2 stems. Doing good so far, should be interesting how 1 square foot treats them later in the season.

Brandywine-

Fourth of July

Bloody Butcher

Cherokee Purple

Big Beef

Orange Roma

This is such a lanky tomato plant. Even the leaves are long and lanky.

Lanky, kind of scraggly leaves

One of my Black Cherry Toms. I have two in a different bed.

Patio Princess, I worked them into the landscaping and so far they seem to look pretty nice there.

Tiny Red Robin, also worked into the landscaping.

So, because I'm crazy, and because I had extra plants, I stuck a Tumbling Tom in the top of the basket and a Megabite on the bottom upside down. The megabite did better than I expected down there, and the tumbling tom is huge. Both are setting fruit.

Another tumbling tom basket

Minibels were an experiment and novelty. They've done well in my "vertical planter" (aka shoe organizer).

And finally, my upsidedown Bushsteak. The upside down thing was an experiment and a way to squeeze an extra tom in.

I apologize for the photo overload.

Comments (13)

• seysonn
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cara, thats awesome. I thought i squeeze more plant (square foot wise) into my beds. I do like ONE per 2 square feet, max. But you have beat me on that. And what is more, is that you have achieved great results.
    About the upside down, I did one just like that, for fun many years ago, using a green 5gal. bucket. And I planted some cascading petunia on the top.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Wow, wow and more wow ! It's all simply glorious ! I feel like an under-achiever !

• sdambr
    9 years ago

Fabulous garden, wonderful pics, great ideas!

• kenzo
    9 years ago

great pics I love all your innovative ways of getting tomatoes in - some great ideas there

I

• daisyjoy5
    9 years ago

Well I was wondering if my tomatoes were too crowded but based on the success of yours in these pictures I'd say maybe not. (They all appear healthy and are setting fruit so... hope they continue to do so)

• daisyjoy5
    9 years ago

Well I was wondering if my tomatoes were too crowded but based on the success of yours in these pictures I'd say maybe not. (They all appear healthy and are setting fruit so... hope they continue to do so)

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

Great looking garden!

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys :)

I really wasn't sure whether I was going to regret using this kind of spacing. LOL, still not sure I won't by the end of the season. But so far it's worked great. It's also the first time I pruned and it's really not as much work to do as I thought it would be to keep the plants at a size that works for the spacing.

I also really like the ladder supports. So far they work really well for supporting the plants with minimal upkeep.

• romcorn
    9 years ago

Awesome. Could you share with us what potting mix do you use for your Tumbling Toms and how do you fertilize?

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

Your garden looks lovely. Please keep us updated on how it does.

• Molex 7a NYC
    9 years ago

good airflow, proper maintenance, and it is p.easy to grow em this close. Now I know some folks who won't grow tomatoes less than 4 feet apart, she'd have a heart attack in your garden.

Looks Great

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romcorn, I used Vigoro potting mix. I think it's basically a home depot store brand. I think it's got some fertilizer mixed in.

So far I haven't done too much feeding. I think I hit them once this season with Pennington all purpose fertilizer (hose end sprayer).

I started the plants myself and would feed them with a dilute 10-10-10 when they were seedlings.

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

What a great way of maximazing space for more veggies! Awesome ideas as well. Enjoy every moment and meal out of that lovely garden.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting