Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!

Posted by jhelva 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 23:23

I am new at this, so I need help please. This past weekend it rained a lot and today i saw this in my tomato plant, what is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!

They are called adventitious roots and are normal and fairly common. They often sprout up all along the stems of tomato plants when the moisture levels are high, especially on those sections of the stem closest to the ground. No problem.

Dave

o

digdirt beat me to it, so I will just add that adventitious roots are also seen as shallow green, white, or tan bumps on the stem (sticking up perhaps only a millimeter or two).

Sometimes people who haven't seen them before think an insect has pierced the outer skin of the stem and laid eggs in a line along the stem.

The tomato's ability to send out adventitious roots means that if your seven-year-old breaks off a branch, you can cut off the newest several inches of it and root a new plant. And if you don't stake or otherwise support a plant, it will root wherever its stems touch the ground.

o

Well, Thank you!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here