Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbannie04

Cuttings of Determinate Tomato Varities??

dbannie04
12 years ago

I know this is probably going to sound like a really stuipd question, but I just have to ask! I want to take cuttings of some of my tomatoes to root for my fall garden-it will be much faster and easier than starting over with seeds. I know you take the cuttings from the growth tips etc. and I am fully confident I can be successful with my indeterminate varities. However, I have seen very little info on cuttings of determinate varities. I really like my Early Wonder plant and would like to do it again this fall and thought it would be a good choice since it has a shorter DTM, but it is a determinate variety.

So here's the question: can you expect rooted cuttings of determinate tomatoes to produce tomatoes? From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, the majority of the tomatoes on a determinate variety ripen in a short window of time and then the plant is finished/dies. This is what I observed last year on my determinate vines. So if you root a cutting from a determinate plant that is already producing ripe tomatoes, will it act like a clone of its parent and think it's already done its tomato thing and die. Or will it start over and bloom and produce? For some reason, I'm thinking it is not going to work for me and I need to start some seeds...any thoughts?

Please forgive me if I'm having a blonde moment here :)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz