Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cuttings of Determinate Tomato Varities??

Posted by dbannie04 8 TX (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 23:29

I know this is probably going to sound like a really stuipd question, but I just have to ask! I want to take cuttings of some of my tomatoes to root for my fall garden-it will be much faster and easier than starting over with seeds. I know you take the cuttings from the growth tips etc. and I am fully confident I can be successful with my indeterminate varities. However, I have seen very little info on cuttings of determinate varities. I really like my Early Wonder plant and would like to do it again this fall and thought it would be a good choice since it has a shorter DTM, but it is a determinate variety.

So here's the question: can you expect rooted cuttings of determinate tomatoes to produce tomatoes? From what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong, the majority of the tomatoes on a determinate variety ripen in a short window of time and then the plant is finished/dies. This is what I observed last year on my determinate vines. So if you root a cutting from a determinate plant that is already producing ripe tomatoes, will it act like a clone of its parent and think it's already done its tomato thing and die. Or will it start over and bloom and produce? For some reason, I'm thinking it is not going to work for me and I need to start some seeds...any thoughts?

Please forgive me if I'm having a blonde moment here :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cuttings of Determinate Tomato Varities??

Dig dirt says a few threads ago, forget it.

o

Any explanation as to why?

o

dbannie

it can work if the timing and variety are right.

If the plant is still producing suckers and one catches them young enough, it may work. This is assuming the flower buds haven't formed in the suckers growing point and the lack of roots will be temporarily effecting hormone production/signalling involved in flower bud initiation.

However, if the plant's side shoots are far enough along and received the signals to terminate the growing points in flowers, then cuttings probably won't do much.

Semi-determinate plants are better candidates for cuttings but again it is a matter of when one takes a cutting off the plant.

o

What mulio said.

Your plants are already producing ripe fruit? Then it is too late. So yes, you need to start some seeds.

As discussed in more detail in the other recent discussion abayomi mentioned above, the growing tips on determinate plants are terminal tips.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here