Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenthumbnick

How do I protect tomatos from stink bugs?

greenthumbnick
13 years ago

My tomatos always do great, but almost all loook terible from stinkbug/squash bug damage. Any ideas how I can protect them? No, picking by hand is not an option. There are just too many of them. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Here's a picture of one of my parks whoopers with the damage:

{{gwi:76232}}

Comments (9)

• anney
    13 years ago

I've never found a way to kill stink bugs other than by hand, though several sites recommended chemical insecticides. But the one below suggests products made with kaolin clay. It doesn't kill them but is a damage preventative. The stink bugs can't feed on the fruits sprayed with it or lay their eggs there.

"Surround" is such a clay-based product often used by organic gardeners because you can wash it right off the plants and vegetables whenever you harvest them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stink Bug Control

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Agree - dusting with kaolin clay is the best thing I have found.

Dave

• greenthumbnick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. Any idea where I can buy kaolin powder? What bend name is usually under? Does lowes home depot sell it?

• helenh
    13 years ago

Surround is a brand name. I am still finding stinkbugs on the ones sprayed with it, but I don't know yet if the damage is less. I got mine at Gardens Alive on a free shipping deal. It is a heavy product and shipping cost will kill you if you don't get a deal. I can catch the buggers at night with a flashlight, but they get away from me in day light.

• roper2008
    13 years ago

I have a spray bottle with water. When I see them I mist the bug
    really good, so they don't fly as well. I have a jar with water and
    and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid. I get the jar right up
    to the bug and force them in with a stick. I catch a lot that way.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I do think it is reducing the damage, but I am still catching stinkbugs. Gardens Alive is having a sale now. Shipping is about $10 for 10 pounds. That is not as bad as I thought. The product itself isn't cheap, but I am not finding much for stinkbugs. I should ask my local garden center if they can get some for me cheaper. I don't want to use strong poisons. I wish they would sell a trap. I have read they like yellow and I am sure there must be a pheromone available for such a stinky bug.

• dogwind
    12 years ago

I have good luck with garlic pepper tea. It has a strong odor that the stink bugs don't like, so it keeps them away.

• taz6122
    12 years ago

I pick and squish but if you're squeamish a vacuum with the corner attachment should work.

• sckitchen_gardener_8
    12 years ago

I like your idea dogwind. That is fighting fire with fire. Give the stinkbug some offensive stink.

I bought and have been using the Bugzooka. You can find it with a google search. I am not associated with the product in any way.

The bugzooka can get in nooks and crannies better than I can, plus it has a longer reach. I can drive the bug with a stick and then "zook" them. The advantage is you do not have to set off their stink bombs that way. Plus, I have a tendency to lose patience and knock off some tomatoes or break a stem during the chase. I seem to be less damaging with the bugzooka.

I don't know how long the bugzooka will last. I have managed to pull in 2 adults at a time, plus a bunch of the nymphs.

There are still eggs out there, so I keep patrolling for them and removing them.