Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prestons_garden

Monotaro or others?

prestons_garden
10 years ago

It's momotaro,

thanks Need2SeeGreen

I had my first Momotaro today and the flavors were out of this world. I would strongly suggest you look for the momotaro and give it a try. This is the only variety I will grow this year. My wife complains that I keep going on and on about this tomato and she's right.

Has anyone ran across a tomato variety that tasted so great. Is there a comparable variety to the momotaro or even better? I know everyone will have different opinions when it comes to tomatoes but I was curious about others experiences.

List your favorite tomato and describe its taste the best you can.

Ron

This post was edited by prestons_garden on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 20:26

Comments (24)

• LogyMcKae
    10 years ago

My mother tried some Cherokee purple tomatoes in Grainger county a couple months ago. She said they were the best tomatoes she had ever tasted. I knew it would certainly please her if I grew some, so I bought seed offline and we will see if they are as good as she remembers :)

• prestons_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LogyMcKae,

Keep us posted, I'm interested in the results.

Ron

• LogyMcKae
    10 years ago

I surely will :) Im really excited this is they first thing i've ever done by myself (im young) and I hope they all do well!

This post was edited by LogyMcKae on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 0:58

• LogyMcKae
    10 years ago

I am already making plans for next year, That is why i am curious as to what everyone likes :) (browsing google is how i found this amazingly helpful website)

• prestons_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LogyMcKae,

Welcome and there are a lot of people that are willing to take the time to help others. I wish I could get my daughter to help in the garden from time to time. As soon as we had to get rid of our chickens, she wanted nothing to do with gardening or at least being in the garden, lol.

Ron

This post was edited by prestons_garden on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 0:48

• prestons_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LogyMcKae,

Just some advice, perhaps you would like to reconsider editing your post and delete your age as you never know. I have a daughter the same age and perhaps I'm being a little paranoid, but to me I don't care. Be safe.

Ron

• LogyMcKae
    10 years ago

Yes, very true Im too trusting! and I know teens can be stubborn! as i am. but to get next year started i bought a mixed lot of heirloom seeds on Ebay i hope to get a good variety next year! it says "60+ varieties" so FINGERS CROSSED!

• fcivish
    10 years ago

Cherokee Purple is good, but I very much prefer Cherokee Chocolate, hands down.

Might also try Aunt Ruby's German Green and Marianna's Peace

• LogyMcKae
    10 years ago

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, I mainly just grew the Cherokee Purple because my mother loved them, but i will most definantly have to give both of them a try, Thanks so much!

• tomatovator21
    10 years ago

What is a "Monotaro"??? I never heard of this variety...

• prestons_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tomatovator1,

It's for sure not a heavy producer but the flavors make up for it. Try and google it as this forum seems to be really paranoid about linking to other forums and or other sites. I tried to link to a reliable source but was warned by this:

o GardenWeb

Spam Alert:

In order to fight spam, we need your cooperation!

Unfortunately, we have been the victims of spam attacks (the posting of ads) promoting this site or business (#*^@*#@^%&@) and they are now blocked completely to prevent a recurrence.

Please do not mention them in our forums or elsewhere at this site.

Any attempt at circumventing this block by using our site to refer others to this business will be interpreted as an attempt to further spam our site and you will be permanently banned from using our services.GardenWeb

We appreciate your cooperation in keeping messages ad-free!

Ron

• prestons_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fcivish,

Thanks for the recommendations. I would like to try Marianna's Peace but I hear the seeds are way over priced. Do you have any you are willing to spare?
    PM if you can help.

Thanks,

Ron

• foose4string
    10 years ago

Preston, I can probably help you out with Marianna's Peace. I tried growing it out a couple times. Like my experience with most heirlooms, production was low. In fact, I don't think I got a single usable tomato either time I tried growing it. I have seed if you want to try a few. Sent you an email.

• fcivish
    10 years ago

Ron, one of the companies that originally promoted Marianna's Peace charged something like $2 PER SEED initially, as a gimmick. But nobody every needed to pay that price, as it is an open pollinated variety and many people have seeds out there. If that company is still publishing that price, after all these years, then they are just full of garbage. (I never ordered from that company anyway, since they often seemed to be doing semi-shady things like that.)

Marianna's Peace, in my garden, is reasonably productive, excellent flavor, large size, smooth, pink, potato leaf and fairly late tomato. I understand that there is a lot of crossed seed out there, but true Marianna's Peace is a large pink, smooth, excellent beefsteak. (As a side note: I crossed Marianna's Peace with Jaune Flamme and have a medium sized, orange, beefsteaky tomato that I like from it, bu that is another story. That IS NOT the crossed variety that people are talking about.)

Anyway, I might have some Marianna's Peace seeds available in August. I won't know until then, when I see what my current seeds are growing out. If you are interested in emailing me in August, I might have some seeds from that, and maybe a number of other tomatoes, too. Of my 120 or so plants this year, about 100 of them are varieties I have been raising from various crosses (including the orange one I mentioned, above). I am working with dozen's of new tomato varieties I have been developing, some of which I have been working on for about 10 years, and maybe I am getting close to releasing some of them. But I can't come up with anything other than stupid names for them. I just feel like I'm not imaginative enough.

• prestons_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

fcivish,

That is determination on your part. Sent you a PM.

Ron

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    10 years ago

It might be spelled, "Momotaro," instead. I think.

We are growing a Momo Gold this year. The first one (well, actually the first couple ones disappeared -- we think maybe a possum?) was an absolutely gorgeous orange. The flavor was good but not va-va-voom yet. A little bland-ish. Hoping they get better.

I've never had the regular Momotaro. It sounds great.

• LogyMcKae
    10 years ago

Ron is there any way for me to get a few seeds of this monotaro tomato? Email me? This is my first time trying to trade I won't have any to trade for a while but maybe we can work something out?

• tomatovator21
    10 years ago

If this thread is about "Momotaro" then I have grown it several times in the past and to me it is just OK. Again, there is no variety named "Monotaro". As far as Marianna's Peace, it is not expensive to buy seeds. Several places offer them for sale at the same price as any other heirloom seed. The high prices asked for them was years ago. Not even a revelant discussion now...

• prestons_garden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tomatovator1,

Yes it's Momotaro, I was multitasking and look where it got me, can't even spell now.

LogyMcKae,

It's spelled Momotaro and I think I will never spell it wrong again. It feels like I'm back in Elementary School, when you misspelled a word you had to write it over and over again. You can email me then I will email you back. If you want to display your email as I did, you need to go under your profile from the top and check the box near the bottom to have your email visible to all, members or none.

Ron

• foose4string
    10 years ago

The Marianna's Peace seed that I have is direct from Sandhill Preservation. Pretty sure it's the real deal.

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Nice to know about Momotaro, am growing one plant new for me this year, we will see. I am giving Marianne peace one more try this year as well, my experience in the past summer was not long enough to get MP going well and I did not grow it last year when we had hot summer.

• LogyMcKae
    10 years ago

I made my email to show, and i emailed you :)

• tomatovator21
    10 years ago

Marianna's Peace seeds for sale here in 2013:

Tatiana's TOMATObase Seeds
    Delectation of Tomatoes - new
    Double Helix Farms
    Gourmet Seed International
    Heritage Harvest Seed
    Heritage Tomato Seed
    Hazzard's Wholesale Seeds
    Knapp's Fresh Vegies
    Sand Hill Preservation Center
    Solana Seeds
    Tomato Growers Supply
    Tomatofest
    Trade Winds Fruit
    Victory Seed Company

• tomatovator21
    10 years ago

It is important to spell variety names correctly as misspelled names can eventually become commonly used and it can get very confusing. I did not know if "Monotaro" was a new variety or a misspelling of "Momotaro". Thanks for clearing that up.

This post was edited by Tomatovator1 on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 6:03

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994