Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesliesison

Tomato plant is wilting

LeslieSison
9 years ago

Hi, I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought a tomato tree that is about 2 feet tall already. There were flowers blooming and small buds of fruit that's coming out. We have decided to transplant it to a bigger box yesterday. And today it is wilting. What should I do? Does it mean that it's dying? I read online that it might be lacking water so I watered it again tonight aside from this morning. I need help.. this is my first planting experience. Thank you in advance.

I live in Daly City by the way, i am not sure if that also helps in terms of the weather issues and my zone is 10a..
Leslie

Comments (6)

• Weicker
    9 years ago

Was it out in full sun when you bought it? Is it in full sun now?

Probably just standard transplant shck and will perk up again in a few days.

Give it some shade for a few days, especially when the sun is high mid-day. Keep the soil moist--the very top will dry quickly, that's fine... but when you stick a finger about 2" down in the soil, it should be moist.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Agree. Assuming that no actual damage was done in the process then it is most likely transplant shock. The bigger the plant when transplanted the greater the shock and the longer it takes to recover from it. This is especially true for those that are already blooming and fruiting (which is why buying and transplanting them isn't usually recommended).

Water it well, give it some shade for a couple of days, and do not feed it until after it recovers.

Dave

• LeslieSison
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Weicker, I got it from Home Depot and it was placed outside by the patio. I would assume that the sun hits the tree once in a while. It was in full sun now since i got it on Wednesday.

Hi Dave, i also see some insects on the leaves, looks like a brown fly but i could not recognize it even if I look it up online.. i only saw one and one caterpillar. Should I buy Ortho insect killer for fruits and veggies that's ready to use and spray it on right away? Will it harm the tree knowing that it was still on shocked.

Thanks for your advices I do appreciate it. Sorry it is my first time planting. Hopefully this becomes my new hobby if my tree lives.

• goodground
    9 years ago

It is not a tree. lol

Make sure to give it shade until it perks back up.

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

LeslieSison wrote: > Hi, I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought a tomato tree that is about 2 feet tall already. There were flowers blooming and small buds of fruit that's coming out.

I transplanted many 2 feet plants before. Actually ALL my transplants are 1 ý - 2 ft. high. Most of the times with flowers and small fruits 1âÂÂâÂÂ+. And always everything was⦠ok.

> We have decided to transplant it to a bigger box yesterday.

How BIG is the box ? What tomato variety did you buy ?

> And today it is wilting.

Wilting can have A FEW causes.

One - as others said - is the transplanting shock. Just provide shade, especially between 12-4 pm, and in 3-4 days hopefully everything will be ok.

Make sure you water thoroughly, I mean SOAKING. Every other day. Until water comes at the bottom of the box. When itâÂÂs 90â F outside, soil in boxes dries very, VERY fast. Btw, what soil did you use ?

Another cause could be a disease. I donâÂÂt think itâÂÂs the case, but to be sure fungicide ASAP. This year I decided to use the organic Copper Fungicide (Bonide) and my plants look very nice and healthy. Until now, no problems whatsoever - knock on wood.

Apply the fungicide once a week, better after a rain - never before - so check the weather forecast. Apply the fungicide on the top AND under the leaves. I use SoloâÂÂs ý gl. sprayer, which has a multi-directional nozzle for spraying from all positions.

LeslieSison wrote: > â¦i also see some insects on the leavesâ¦

2-3 days after you applied the fungice, use some organic Garden Dust (Safer) [OMRI-listed] against insects. Ortho insect killer is NOT organic, and I wouldnâÂÂt recommend it to you.

Also, cut the dry (lower) leaves. Make sure to mulch the soil in the box, to avoid splashing rain water on the leaves, which can lead to diseases.

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

Leslie, can we see some pictures ?

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living