Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

How to Prepare Seeds?

Edymnion
12 years ago

Hello all,

I've got an heirloom tomato (a Mr. Stripey) that is ripening fruit now, including one that split early on due to too much rain. Don't plan on eating that one, but it appears to have healed around the split fairly nicely, so I'm going to use it to harvest seeds from for next year. Will also be good practice for when my OSU blue produces fruit.

Found a few contradicting sources on how to harvest the seeds and prepare them for storage, so I figured I'd ask for some direct input.

Generally boils down to two approaches:

1) Open up the tomato, pick out the seeds, put on paper towel/newspaper and dry them on a windowsill for a few days. Store normally (paper envelope, cool dark place, etc).

2) Scoop the seeds and slime out, put in jar, let sit for 2-3 days until it grows mold. Use warm water to rinse out jar over and over until left with just the seeds, dry and store as above.

The reasoning for #2 was that the mold had anti-biotic properties that would protect the seeds from several diseases they could otherwise get. On one hand, I could see that making sense, as the seeds would normally be in the fruit that falls to the ground and rots anyway. On the other hand, the same could be said of any fruit or vegetable, and I've never heard of having to do that for anything else.

So, those with more first hand experience than I, how do I go about making sure I get a good harvest of seeds for next year?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor