Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a tasty heirloom tomato that would grow well here

Posted by amusedmonkey none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 1:19

I'm looking for a great tasting heirloom tomato to plant in my garden that's not very hard to grow (since I'm still a novice) and that would keep producing all season instead of popping them all at once. I would prefer the kind that would do well with simple staking instead of caging because I have a large dog who just loves to pull cages off ruining the vines. I just want to plant 3 or so varieties to experiment with, color doesn't matter as long as it tastes great. Any planting tips are welcome.

We mostly use tomatoes for salad or eat them right off the vine. Problem is, they don't sell heirloom tomatoes here for me to know which varieties would suit my area so I'm planning to order them online. I could use any advice on a good and tried website to buy from.

I live in the middle east. The area which I live in has a "deserty" weather. Lowest it gets in winter is about 20 and rainfall varies from year to year. We get snow once or twice a year but it doesn't last for more than a couple days . In summer it averages at about 95 but it's not uncommon for it to go up to 115 or even 120 three or four times during the summer. Summers have no rainfall and the area isn't exactly humid or tropical, more like dry heat. Spring is usually mild and frost is rare although not to be ruled out. Spring night is usually at mid 40s to low 50s. We get a lot of direct sunlight so something that could stand the heat would be preferable. I hope this was detailed enough to compare to your local areas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a tasty heirloom tomato that would grow well here

Cherokee purple ????

o

Why does it need to be an heirloom?

o

Hi, I am a newb to tomato growing myself.

1st it sounds like you want a "indeterminate" type of tomato plant. Once the continues to vine and bears fruit all season. As opposed to a "determinate" variety, where all the fruit matures in a relativly short time frame. ...so atay aware of those differences when making your selections .

This spring I bought seeds from a online seller ( tomatofest ) and I am have very good results for my money. About $3.00 for a pak of seeds and I am getting about 80% germination rate. I looked on his webiste and he ship to many countries outside the US. Hope this info helps and take a look at the site ( I've got a link to it below ).

I am sure there are many other reliable websites to purchase from, this is the 1st one i;ve tried an am quiet happy...good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatofest Tomato Seeds

o

Given those conditions, anything other than a cherry variety is going to give more frustration than tomatoes. Cherokee purple will be very very difficult. Mine shut down totally at 95+, although they do resume production when it cools down.

I would settle for a hybrid cherry variety like sweet 100. Its your best bet in those conditions.

o

With those kind of temps, I might suggest a Porter. They are not known for great flavor but they can handle 100 degrees and still produce and can handle intense sun. Also, might try a Stupice which is early and handles heat fairly well. Early Girl is not an heirloom but grown widely here in Texas because it can take the heat and matures fast enough.

With those kind of temps, I would guess you might be able to start a little earlier than we do in the US and maybe get a crop by the time the temp heats up too much. You might also have a chance in the fall where your temps might stay warm enough overnight to ripen.

But you are going to need early varieties. Once your temps get over 95, your tomato growing is going to be done.

o

I'd recommend you try Sioux. It has great taste, is a heavy producer, and is supposed to produce in high heat. Seeds are available from Tatiana's Tomatobase and Tomato Growers Supply. Both of them are excellent seed sources. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tatiana's

o

Thank you all for the followup, I just thought I wanted to get into heirloom tomatoes as a hobby but looks like it would be hard with the weather conditions here. I will try out the ones you mentioned out of curiosity.

The reason I wanted heirloom is because my family is a big lover of tomatoes and I just wanted to surprise them with something different since I have a lot of unused space with great soil.

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 19:44

Our growing conditions are almost identical, Monkey. Sioux is a great choice for you. In a big container it grows to about 4 ft tall. I don't know how it would do in the ground.

Baker Creek Heirlooms also carries some tomatoes that have come to the states from the mid-east, but the only name I remember is Iraqi Heart.

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek

o

Oh I'm not looking for middle eastern varieties, I'm looking for something different to try. I have a relative in the states who would be able to forward any seeds I purchase to me.

From what I read about Sioux, it looks like the thing I'm looking for. I'm also wondering if I go for partial shade or grow in a container that I would move in when the sun gets too hot would I have a better chance at growing more varieties?

o

• Posted by jll0306 9/ Sunset 18/High De (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 12:36

It, like all the tomatoes is happier if you can grow it in a spot that gets morning sun and afternoon, but I threw a light shade cloth on it in the REALLY hot stretch.

If you decide to grow in a container, you have the advantage of being able to blend a moisture retaining soiless potting mix which will help to avoid any soil-born disease issues. And maybe the dog won't get the cage!

What else do you grow there?

Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here