Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lantanascape

Hurrah for Stupice!

lantanascape
14 years ago

Our 10 year old niece will be here for the weekend, and I've been looking forward to letting her pick some cherry tomatoes - maybe even get her a little interested in veggies and gardens. Only problem is that it's been cool up until a week ago, and despite 50 or so fruit on my red currant, and 20+ on my Isis candy, nothing is even near ripe. Well, today when I was out, I spied a Stupice with a strong blush to it. Might not be ready to eat by Sunday, but at least it will be something for her to pick.

This is my first year growing Stupice, and I am so impressed to be getting a salad size tomato before even my first cherry. Stupice saves the day!

Comments (39)

• spaghetina
    14 years ago

That's so cool, and I bet it'll be tons of fun for her. Even my 60-something year old uncle went out to my garden today and couldn't help but pick tomatoes that he saw were almost ripe. He didn't care that they weren't ready yet, all he knew was that he wanted to shove his hands into my plants, yank off fruit, and eat them, lol.

I'm going to have go get my hands on some seeds for next year because I keep reading such nice things about stupice's production.

• recluse
    14 years ago

This is the first year I've grown Stupice. It was my first ripe tomato, but I found it a bit too tangy/tart for my taste.

If you are after production, Stupice is for you, but if you are looking for a sweet tomato, IMO you might want to try something else.

• yotetrapper
    14 years ago

I have a stupice plant. Nothing's ready yet, though, got a late start due to a soggy spring. Lots of greenies.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

my stupice is growing but the first tomatoes that set end of may are not getting bigger...they are about the size of golfballs and have just stayed that size for weeks now...

i know if just have to be patient but dang thats hard to do.

luckily the 3 types of cherry tomatoes all have ripe toms so i am enjoying those.

• lantanascape
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tammy, golf ball size is about what Stupice is - Pinetree lists it at 3-4 ounces. As far as flavor - I plant a variety, and love the blacks best, but always try for some as early as possible to get us out of grocery store tomatoes.

This plant started setting fruit at the end of May - it does take several weeks, but once they start ripening, it seems like there's a continuous supply.

• azruss
    14 years ago

My Stupice plants started production in early April. They are mostly done here in the AZ heat, but I'm still getting a few. Production--I could not keep up with them!! Very few were larger than golf ball size. The flavor is OK--a bit mild for me. (I like strong old-time tomato flavor in fresh tomatoes.) However, I did make a discovery: Stupice are wonderful for sauce and juice. Halve the ripe tomatoes and heat them up with a pinch of salt. Cooking them brings out the most delicious, complex tomato flavors--and frees up more of the lycopene for us to absorb to boot. Stupice will be in my garden every year. They are also very good dried.

• lantanascape
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks azruss, I will definitely use the extras for sauce along with my Opalkas once my main crop tomatoes come on.

I'm still so impressed with this plant. The bed it's in doesn't seem to have as rich of soil as the bed with the Opalkas, yet it has about 25 fruit set on one little plant now (the Opalkas are 5' plus and crazy bushy, all the plants in the Stupice bed are healthy but only 3' tall and not as busy). The fruit that was blushing on Friday is full ripe today, so I'll let the niece pick it and we'll use it for some home made guacamole - something else she's never done.

I'm starting to feel like the country cousin. She's never seen a veggie garden, ridden in a pickup truck (we took the truck out last night and sat in the bed to watch fireworks), planted a plant, ridden a horse (I think I'll take her to the nursery to pick out a perennial for my rock garden after we go visit my horse) or made ice cream (doing that tonight). Like my husband observed, she's "CITIFIED."

• colokid
    14 years ago

My first stupice is about 2 inches and just in blush. Can't hardly keep my hands away from it. The rest are way smaller.
    I am wondering if we pruned some of the fruits if it would let the remainders grow larger? I sure have more than enough that a small plant can handle. Even with cool, wet, it is loaded with flowers and fruits.

KennyP

• rwk_nova
    14 years ago

I grew Stupice for a few years before switching to Matina (slightly better flavored early IMHO) but my experience with Stupice was the 1st couple tomatoes had average flavor which improved to good a little later in the season. My experience size wise is consistent with the previous posts.

• azruss
    14 years ago

Agreed, as the season warmed and the days grew longer, the flavor of the Stupice tomatoes improved noticeably. Still think they're dynamite sauce/juice tomatoes. I'm trying Matina and Bloody Butcher for fall to see how they compare.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

so after all my moaning and complaining went out to the garden today and the stupice are FINALLY starting to blush.

of course this means they will be ripe when i am in the hospital delivering my 2nd baby so I won't even be able to try it :(...i hope my parents enjoy it.

• ddsack
    14 years ago

Tammy, I'll bet your parents will be happy to save you the first ripe Stupice as your reward for the hard work of delivery! Congratulations on the upcoming new baby, and I hope things go quickly and well for you both when the time comes.

• mycoman
    14 years ago

yes,my first year for stupice as well..mine have tons of fruit but they are tiny! the biggest ones are not much more than an inch so far..and the first one to ripen just now is a quarter of an inch..sigh.
    i wonder if pruning will help..i did just add some bone meal last week..hmmm.
    by the way my plants are about 3 1/2 ft. tall so far and in half barrels..2-3 per barrel with a zuchini in each as well.

• jwstell42
    14 years ago

Last year my first tomato wasn't until August 1st.

We've already picked 6 off the Stupice, and the two plants have at least 50 tomatoes each waiting to ripen.

While I agree with the above posters, the tomatoes are small, and not the "best" I've ever tasted, but to have fresh tomatoes (still better than store bought) a full month before last year, is simply incredible.

My Cherries are just starting to blush now... Stupice beat all of my cherries by two full weeks - incredible.

• mockapple
    14 years ago

Old reliable Stupice has always been a good choice for my Pacific NW garden. Their flavor can vary quite a bit through the season and from one season to the next, sometimes sweet and rich, sometimes more subdued and tart. But always good roasted or in sauce, by itself or with other varieties. I decided to try Matina in its place this year to compare, so we'll see.

• homegardenpa
    14 years ago

I just picked my first stupice today. I'm gonna let the top ripen up a bit before eating, maybe a day or so, but it's finally something after the months of prepration :)

• cfed
    14 years ago

Just picked my first non-cherry of the year (well, of the... ever). I'm sure no one is shocked that it's a Stupice. It just blushed so I'll give it a few days before greedily devouring it.

Yay!

• raisemybeds
    14 years ago

I too love Stupice, and all my Stupice seedlings died before transplant this season so I have none to enjoy. But I agree that they are super early, and that the taste changes over the season. They are also prolific. A very worthwhile plant.

• pastor_steve
    14 years ago

Stupice has earned a spot in the garden next year. My three plants are full of small fruit, and they're coming on strong. Only one other is starting to blush, and we've had a few Stupice at ever meal for over a week. Flavor is only "good", but it's still better than nothing to get started with. This was my first year with them, but I'm pleased so far...

• star_stuff
    14 years ago

Based on all the good reviews, stupice has earned a spot in my garden next year too!

• noinwi
    14 years ago

Finally!! First blush of the season and of course, it's Stupice...yay!
    {{gwi:1354959}}

• structure
    14 years ago

Careful what you wish for... I planted two Stupice and we've been overwhelmed with the little boogers the last couple weeks. Wonderful "problem" to have.

A quick foodprocessing (skin and seeds left on) takes care of that. Marinara, gazpacho, salsa.

nice variety.

• jane2e_eircom_net
    12 years ago

I grew stupice from seed indoors last year (easy to germinate)and put them outside mid-May. They were slow to take off but produced fruit quite quickly and continuted to produce until end of September (or rather, the wind blew the plants to tatters so I took them down). This is outstanding for Ireland as we don't get above 75 degrees and average 65, usually cloudy and wet. What a tomato! They get sweeter as the season progresses so by August they were fabulous. The plants are not very good-looking but growing tomatoes outdoors is such a treat for us! Looking at the other posts I imagine it is a cool climate tomato and does best in those conditions. Just putting this years outside now, in a raised bed this time, just to treat them nice.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

BUMP IT for the 2014 season

I had been contemplating to have some Stupice ( stoo-piche') this season. But I could not found the seeds off the rack.(NO mail order for me this year).
    So here I was with NO Stupiche'. But I have had few contenders like, Matina, Bloody Butcher, Siberian, Legend, Siletz.
    Yesterday we went to an out of town trip. In one place I found Stupice' seedling. I GRABBED one. Now my EARLY list is complete(almost. I wanted to grow Kimberly too )

Then I wanted to learn a bit more about Stupice'. So I came upon this old thread. I read quite a few nice reviews on it. Some had picked ripe tomatoes off of it in early July. That is what I am looking for. Celebrate the Fourth with a RED tomato.

Is there anybody here who has grown Stupice' before and/or doing this season too ?

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Yes, I've grown Stupice, actually there are four versions of it that were bred in Czechkoslovakia, two for glasshouse growing and two for field growing and I've grown two of those versions.

I've also grown all the ones you mentioned in your post above.

To your list I'd add Moravsky Div and Kimberley as excellent, early, tasty, high producing varieties.

No one is allowed to transfer to GW threads from other message sites, or be banned, but there's a long interesting thread about Stupice and Moravsly Div that I could have linked to here, if I could and what the relationship between the two might be..That thread was started asking the question if Stupice is det or indet.

Some said det and othes said indet.

Carolyn

• hoosier40 6a Southern IN
    10 years ago

Growing it for the first time this season.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Thanks Carolyn,
    I have heard the name "Moravsky Div" before with positive reviews, also Kimberly. Maybe try those next season. It is too late for me right now.

I am looking forward to seeing Stupice's performance and compare side by side with Bllody butcher and Matina. Incidently all are PL. ( What is in the Leaf ?!)

OK, lets here more about Stupiche' (stew-pea -chay)

• CathyCA SoCal
    9 years ago

"Is there anybody here who has grown Stupice' before and/or doing this season too ?"
    Yes, growing for the first time this year. Bought a small plant from Laurel. Planted out 1/31/2014 (unusually warm winter in So Cal). Have already harvested 41 tomatoes - very sweet and delicious.
    I agree, Hurrah for Stupice!

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    9 years ago

I've grown them every year except one, and am growing it again this year. I have scaled back dramatically this year to 3 plants and Stupice is one of them. It's my favorite tomato because it's my first tomato. Just set out 6 week old plants today under protection. They already have blossoms on, and I'm leaving them on because I always try and get a June tomato.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

Stupice never worked for me, but if it does for you, great.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Hurrah for Stupice!

I bought a small Stupice plant in a 2" square pot 3 weeks ago. I repotted it into a 5" pot and I planted it out a week ago. Today I saw that it has buds. That is awesome. I hope to pick a ripe fruit off of it by the end of June. I should also mention that my Bloody Butchers and Sungolds have flowers. So there is a competition going on in the garden. Who will be the winner ?
    Time will tell.

9 years ago

Coming along nicely for a June ripening! We've had a very good May for growing here in the NE. Basically Goldilocks conditions....just right.....(so far.)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Looking good, Ed.
    My Stupice has several trusses of flowers and bud. But no fruits in sight yet but any day now. I would be happy to have red ones by early July. This is my first experience with Stupice. I like it so far.

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

We grew Stupice for the first time last year. It was early, prolific and tasty, but rather perishable if you have a lot of other tomatoes to eat and share. Although it's a little larger, some friends assumed it was a cherry.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

It was early, prolific and tasty,..
    %%%%%%

I like that description but not the "BUT" part: D
    How big, what size the fruits you had, "homgrownin603" ?
    But the "but" part can be handled. I can always make sauce with the extras, if any.

9 years ago

Stupice delivers again. The best year so far. 4 ripe and others blushing.

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Good for you Ed! Enjoy!

I grew Stupice 3 times and I was happy with its earliness and flavor, but the last couple of times it fell victim to disease, so I decided to try some other early varieties in my garden instead.

Kimberley, Chadwick Black Early, Bloody Butcher and Jaune Flammee - not that any of them are even blushing yet though.

Linda

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Five years and still going strong: Hurrah for Stupice!

I planted mine out about May 10, From a seedling I bought.

I got the first fruit around July 15. But then no ripe fruits till the end of July. But come August , it is ripening big time.

As I look at some pictures,they show fruits that are round . But mine are lobed. As Carolyn pointed out there are 4 version.

Anyway; Stpice is PROLIFIC indeed. with so many clusters. But the fruits growth and size are not consistent. I will post a picture tomorrow to show you what I mean.

Hurrah for Stupice!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

A long shot of my Stupice.
    The picture does not doe justice. There are a lot of fruits on it.