Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avid_hiker

Any suggestions for a tomato with a strong rubust flavor

avid_hiker
14 years ago

I am one who likes a tomato with a robust tomato flavor for my sanwiches. I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for a Beefstake tomato (or any of the sandwich size tomato's) that is known for its strong rich tomato flavor that I can grow next year.

I can't believe I am already looking ahead to next season when I am still awaiting my first ripe tomatoes for this season.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments (10)

• mickyfinn6777
    14 years ago

Neves Azorean Red, is both robust and healthy plant with a fairly strong taste to it with a hint of sweetness if grown well.

• struwwelpeter
    14 years ago

By "robust," do you mean that you want a thin slice of "robust" tomato to taste like a thick slice of normal tomato?

I find a 0.5" slice of Big Zac to be adequate, but often the diameter of the slice of Big Zac exceeds that of the bread, so I get too much tomato in bites around the periphery of the sandwich.

• dave1mn2
    14 years ago

~~~ so I get too much tomato in bites around the periphery of the sandwich. ~~~

Yeah, I always hate it when that happens. :-)

On a sandwich, almost anything home grown generally suits me fine and the more flavorfull varieties, I prefer by themselves but you might like German Queen or Brandywine OTV. For me, they are both a little stingy on the production front but the taste is worth it.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    14 years ago

I second Neve's Azorean Red. Really rich, full flavor!

Cindy

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

I think the more aggressive tasiting varieties, which is what I call them are best found with some of theodler commercial varieties.

Varieties such as:

Rutgers
    New Yorker
    Valiant
    Moira
    Sandpoint
    Wi 55

.... to name a few.

I find it interesting that two folks suggested Neves Azorean Red b'c I introduced that variety and don't see it as having an agressive taste.

But, taste is personal and subjective and there's also a genetic factor involved on the part of the human, ahem, so it doesn't surpise me that for every variety someone loves, someone hates it. LOL

if you really want a pucker type variety try Tigerella, the small red with jagged gold stripes.

Two others you might consider that are also spit outs for me are Noire des Cosebeauf and Purple Calbash.

Carolyn

• catman529
    14 years ago

My NAR seeds never came up when I planted them, so I had to put Delicious in the place of NAR in my garden this year. I've heard Delicious is a good variety, but some say it's not the most flavorful (while others say the opposite).

One tomato NOT to try is White Wonder. Tried that last year...first ripe one was sliced and put on sandwiches. They didn't have much of any tomato flavor at all, and the texture wasn't very meaty. They looked nice though. But I ain't growing them again.

If you want a strong, acidic flavor, try Hank. Tomatobob.com sends free Hank seeds with every order (or you could just buy some). The tomatoes are all under 3 inches wide, but with an acidic bite and good red tomato flavor. I found a slightly bitter edge to some. But they were too seedy for me - not planning on growing those again either.

• avid_hiker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much.

From the suggestions above, I believe I have three new additions to next year's garden.

NAR
    German Queen
    Rutgers

I have heard so much about Marianna's Peace that I think I will give it a try as well.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Tom

• dave1mn2
    14 years ago

Hey Tom,

I hope you like German Queen as much as I do but be prepared, she is an enormous plant. Haven't had one less than 9' when I topped it out and I've heard of much taller than that.

Small pots won't do at all, I get fairly light blooming with fairly heavy blossom drop and moderate BER.

Nice size and great taste, for me, makes it worth a couple spots per yr. as a treat but she is finiky.

Just don't want you to be disappointed with production or ease of growing.

Have fun!

• avid_hiker
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Did you say 9'. I am going to have to add on another 2' extension to my cages. I hope you are right. Here in SoCal my season can last until the end of October. That means lots of good tomatoes. Can't wait.

I have read lots of good comments about German Queen. If it has a bold tomoatoe flavor then I will be a very happy gardener.

Tom

• dave1mn2
    14 years ago

Yep, she is a big plant.

As for flavor, don't know if I'd say bold, maybe full, rich flavor.

Good balance for my taste buds.

It was picking up a GQ start on a whim several yrs ago and tasting the results that started my quest for different types and flavors, eventually bringing me to this bd of fine folks and a whole new world of tomato gardening.

Many yrs prior to that, my choises would have been considered exceedingly dull.

:-)