Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nattydoll

Where should I put this cherry tomato container? Stake vs cage?

nattydoll
9 years ago

I have two different(?) cherry tomato plants: one is hanging upside down, and one is in a container on my lawn.

I'm in NYC. The upside down tomato is called Heirloom Tomato Matt's Wild Cherry. The container tomato is just Large Red Cherry Tomato. The container is about 3.5 gallons. I transplanted it deeper into the pot because I read this promotes a stronger stalk.

The container tomato has grown about 2 feet above the soil line. I initially put it against the brick wall of the building, which gets a lot of heat. It is North facing, with light coming in from the West, as well. I dug a few inches in the dirt, to bury the container for security and heat. I thought this was a good spot to keep it away from the sidewalk, dogs, and people.

However, we are in NY and that area doesn't get direct sunlight until 2:30 or 3, which means it will only get 6 hours of sun if sunset is at 9.

So, earlier in the day, I've been moving it forward a few feet to get a few more hours of sun, to a spot that is next to the stairs. It is closer to the curb, kind of protected by a bush, and close to the hanging plant. SEE PHOTO.

1) Where should I put it? By the wall, or by the stairs? What will be more attractive? After weeding out a patch by the back wall, the lawn isn't as nice looking, and I feel a random container in the middle of grass looks funny. What will be best for the plant, re: sunlight?

2) Should I stake it or use a cage? I waited to set that up until deciding on location for it. It's heavy to move back and forth, and will be heavier with fruit on it! Also, which method looks better?

3) If it is closer to the stairs, how likely is cross-polinization with the upside down tomatoes? Is that necessarily a bad thing?

Comments (4)