Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry tomato plants drying

Posted by rosie21 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 5:35

I would be so grateful if someone could help me with my cherry tomatoes.
From 40 seeds I planted, just 4 survived which I transferred to a bigger container and they were doing fine all though summer. Then the rains came and the sky was all gloomy and overcast and suddenly the plants began to look like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Later the sun was out for a few days and there were new leaves again and everything was fine until a few days ago when it got dull and plants began to look bad...

The leaves are few and a muddy brown ash like colour. However, the new ones look healthy. The soil is damp and the roots though healthy have a little mold around it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So I have taken the plant indoors and put it under a LED lamp (around 60 watts). I know the issue is mainly lack of sun and the rains of course....

Is there anything else I can do to make them better?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry tomato plants drying

Hard to tell without seeing the whole plant, but your plants have several issues. Only 4 plants from 40 seeds survived? When were they planted? What kind of soil are they planted in? Your container looks too small for one plant, not to mention 4. They don't seem to be getting enough light or food. I can only suggest starting over at some point and reading the FAQ about starting seedlings.

This post was edited by edweather on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 8:25

o
RE: Cherry tomato plants drying

They were planted during summer (April). The other plants all are doing fine. Its just the tomatoes! A friend planted them in a bigger place and they grew fine. But after the rain they too have gotten really bad. So i'm assuming its the weather.
I wanted to understand what can be done during these gloomy days to keep the plants healthy. Artificial light? More plant food? Less water?

This post was edited by rosie21 on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 8:42

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here