Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lower leaves with disease question

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 6:36

Some of the lower leaves on my cherry tomato plants are getting spotted and turning yellow. I have straw under all my tomatoes, which usually prevents this from happening.
Would it be best to remove those diseased branches, or would that not stop the progression?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lower leaves with disease question

Absolutely. Remove those dead leaves and discard in the trash (do not compost).

Linda

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 13:04

Agree with Linda (that's my name too). ;-)

Also an observation...seems the cherry tomatoes are more susceptible to EB...is that similar to what others are seeing?

o

Thanks to the 2 Lindas! :)

o

I've been fighting the EB too, and the plant that seems to get it the worst is the husky red cherry tomato. My other plants are susceptible but that plant always gets it worse. The other plant that was really susceptible was the Bonnie patio tomato (which is gone now, RIP). They both have bigger thickish textured dark green leaves. My yellow pear cherry tomato doesn't seem nearly as susceptible and it has very small, smoother, delicate leaves. Maybe those bigger leaves take longer to dry after the rain because they collect more water, or the size reduces air circulation for the whole plant somehow?

The patio tomato wound up getting stripped of all it's leaves and then I killed it and made fried green tomatoes with whatever I couldn't get to ripen. I have been able to keep the EB in check on the other plants by picking the diseased leaves off as soon as I see any evidence, and I spray the whole plants down with copper spray until dripping. I have also brought out a fan onto the balcony to increase circulation, which seems to help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here