Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katkeeper36

Just sharing ....

katkeeper36
10 years ago

I live in southern New England. We have been having tons of humid rainy days as of late. Garden is really flourishing...so I thought I'd share some pics. Some of my tomato plants are already over 6ft tall. Just under 2 months in the ground. I got 9 types in so there is a lot of cross-pollination goin on.

( Not saying it's right for everyone ) but I did a heavy layer of cow manure last fall. Started the spring out by adding drilled out 1 inch PVC pipes - 18 inches under the garden for deep watering..( just drop the hose in and go ) I added Cottonseed Meal, Kelp, Fish and Bone Meal as well.

Pictured is Zapotek Pleated

Comments (14)

• katkeeper36
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chocolate Cherry

• katkeeper36
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple Russians in the foreground...6ft +

• katkeeper36
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purple Russians have had "leaf curl" really badly since I planted them...but still kickin out 30-40 toms per plant so I put up with the unsightliness.

• katkeeper36
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one.....Blue Fruit...Happy 4th of July everyone.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Where in S NE 5a? I'm 5b, tomatoes have been in the ground a month or less due to cold, dry, then wet (Mem Day week) and hot weather end of May, then all this rain in June. Mine are knee-high, except for the ones I have (or recently had, planted some that were starting to flower) in 1 gal pots. Did you use WOWs or something to put out in early May? Plants look great.

• macbettz
    10 years ago

Just curious are you south of CT? You would of lost plants to frost if you planted early may here. very impressive but your zone and the maturity of the plants is not the norm.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Yeah, they look great. Even with the slow start to spring, the warm humid weather lately has really made our garden pop. The heavy rain hasn't bothered our container garden one bit. Although our prayers do go out to the folks just to our east who have gotten all the flooding the past few days.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Yes. My question is the same: WHERE IN SOUTHERN NE? I have lived over 10 years in in Southern Fairfield county, CT by the sound. Mothers day is the norm to put out plants in the garden.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY to all !

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 11:07

• Bets
    10 years ago

"I got 9 types in so there is a lot of cross-pollination goin on."

Not necessarily. Tomato blosoms are perfect, so they self pollinate. Even if they are in close proximity, the seeds are likely to be 95% pure. (The only way to be totally sure is isolation or bagging blossoms.) If you have a lot of insect activity, you might have lower purity rates.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: How Do I Prevent Tomatoes from Cross-pollinating?

• katkeeper36
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If I got the 5a wrong I apologize. I'm in Lincoln, RI ( NE corner of state ). I bought all of these as seed from Tomatofest.com. Started them indoors around end of March under T5 lights....I put everyone in the ground ( squash included ) on May 6th ( I needed my kitchen table back )....2x had to cover everything with plastic due to frost warnings.

I also have a arbor I made out of PVC with a bunch of squash...I'll provide a FB link below if you wanna check out the progression...some of those are 6-7 pounds already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash Arbor

• hudson___wy
    10 years ago

Wonderful looking healthy tomato plants! Thanks for sharing - they look awesome!

• LogyMcKae
    10 years ago

Those 'Zapotek Pleated' tomatoes are some of the most beautiful tomatoes I've ever seen! Happy Gardening and HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

• ffreidl
    10 years ago

"Those 'Zapotek Pleated' tomatoes are some of the most beautiful tomatoes I've ever seen!"

I agree! I've heard they're not the best tasting - don't know if that's true - but it's almost worth planting them just for their looks!

Beautiful pics!

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

Are you sure you are growing Chocolate Cherry? I thought it was similar to Black Cherry, which I have grown, and it was more of a rounded shape.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm