Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mandolls

Best tomato year ever?

mandolls
10 years ago

I was going to put this on sue-ct's "worst tomato year ever?" post, but it wasn't going to be helpful to her.

I have had similar weather minus the tornado. We had 12" of snow on May 2nd, and the ground hadn't completely thawed out previously, so I didnt plant my tomatoes out until the first week of June, which is only a week later than usual. I dont know the rainfall count, but it was close to hers. I didnt water anything in the garden all June due to Mother Nature taking care of it for me. My plants are in raised beds and I have very sandy soil amended with lots of compost, so they can take a lot of water.

My plants (Kosovo, Park's Whopper, Pruden's Purple, Belmonte, Green Zebra, Goose Creek, Genovese Costaluca, Earl Girl) are between 3-5 ft tall, each one has at least a few tomatoes set. The largest is only a bit bigger than a golf ball, but there are plenty started. Not a single leaf has yellowed or been chewed on. The smallest plant has 3 blossom clusters, the largest ones have 7-8 blossom clusters.

I know I cant count my tomatoes before they have formed - but its looking good for plants that have been out for less than six weeks.

Last year we had a lot of temps in the 90's when the tomatoes were trying to fruit. A couple of my plants only gave me 3-4 tomatoes all season! RIght now we have highs in the low to mid 80's and nights in the mid to high 60's which is perfect tomato weather. If it keeps up like that for another week or so my plants should be full of fruit.

Comments (2)