Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What causes Megablooms?

Posted by booberry85 z5NY (becky@leadsafe.us) on
Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 7:57

I've been growing tomatoes for 7 or 8 years now. This is the first year that I've ever had megablooms. I know that they are several blooms fused together, but what causes it? Are there certain weather conditions or soil conditions that promote megablooms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What causes Megablooms?

I've seen this too, maybe global warming? LOL - seems that this year as well I have had many of them....question is....do they create Mega Tomatoes? Or should I just pick them off? I'm using aeroponics to grow my tomatoes this year, not soil.

o

Is this a megabloom?

Photobucket

There is also this one, that looks different than above, but is still larger than the regular flowers

Photobucket

did anyone ever figure out why the occur?

o

Still no reason I can find. Today I found a megabloom on my third variety, making it all three beefsteak varieties that have produced them at least once. I do find it odd that this is the first year you and I have seen these problems though.

o
megabloom

it's so weird I went to check my plants like I do every morning and saw these. I don't know if I'm just more conscious of them since they have been talked about so much lately, though. This plant is momotaro, and it hasn't been producing much. I think I only have 3 or 4 tomatoes on it right now. It flowers enough, I think, they just don't pollinate. Not sure if the megabloom will be pollinated or not...

o

From what I've heard, Megablooms are mainly caused by genetics. Big tomato types are more likely to produce "Megablooms", or double, triple flowers etc. I've heard it can also be caused by overly wet weather conditions, but I'm not sure about that.

Since megablooms are usually two or three flowers fused together, they have to be pollinated two or three times as much to grow evenly. If they aren't pollinated well enough, they will be "Catfaced" and mutated looking. Sometimes the plant will just drop it of it's own accord, but if you don't want ugly or misshapen fruit, you could pick them off.

o

I've seen flower deformation caused by environmental stress in other plants. Mainly cooler than usual environment during bud formation. Certain individual plants had a genetic predisposition to the deformities so each year it would be neat to see what happened. Plant age also had an effect, with younger, first bloom plants most likely to show deformities.

o

like this Photobucket

o

the megabloom in the first pic I posted is growing! I think it will be a mutant. I also saw another mutant on my plant that must have been a megabloom, too. I'm pretty excited about this (not quite sure why, though). lol

o

mine too mickey, but the first stigma wasn't pollinated so half of it is growing again. I say my plant has been so stingy (0) that I'll let it go.

o

I get excited about megablooms as well, Mickey. I just like to see how they turn out, as they look nothing like "Conventional" perfectly shaped tomatoes. They have more character.

o

I don't know for sure what causes fused blossoms. I always assumed it was a combination of genetics and weather.

Randy

p.s. I still call them fused blossoms not megablooms. I still call varieties heirlooms or open pollinated, not heritage.

o
tomatoes blooms

My tomatoes are about waist high, some small tomatoes and very few blooms. I think that there should be more blooms.I started with 10/10/10, should I have use something with less nitrogen? Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here