Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

What causes Megablooms?

booberry85
15 years ago

I've been growing tomatoes for 7 or 8 years now. This is the first year that I've ever had megablooms. I know that they are several blooms fused together, but what causes it? Are there certain weather conditions or soil conditions that promote megablooms?

Comments (13)

• technologygarden
    15 years ago

I've seen this too, maybe global warming? LOL - seems that this year as well I have had many of them....question is....do they create Mega Tomatoes? Or should I just pick them off? I'm using aeroponics to grow my tomatoes this year, not soil.

• cyumickey
    15 years ago

Is this a megabloom?

There is also this one, that looks different than above, but is still larger than the regular flowers

did anyone ever figure out why the occur?

• reaverg
    15 years ago

Still no reason I can find. Today I found a megabloom on my third variety, making it all three beefsteak varieties that have produced them at least once. I do find it odd that this is the first year you and I have seen these problems though.

• cyumickey
    15 years ago

it's so weird I went to check my plants like I do every morning and saw these. I don't know if I'm just more conscious of them since they have been talked about so much lately, though. This plant is momotaro, and it hasn't been producing much. I think I only have 3 or 4 tomatoes on it right now. It flowers enough, I think, they just don't pollinate. Not sure if the megabloom will be pollinated or not...

• tomahtohs
    15 years ago

From what I've heard, Megablooms are mainly caused by genetics. Big tomato types are more likely to produce "Megablooms", or double, triple flowers etc. I've heard it can also be caused by overly wet weather conditions, but I'm not sure about that.

Since megablooms are usually two or three flowers fused together, they have to be pollinated two or three times as much to grow evenly. If they aren't pollinated well enough, they will be "Catfaced" and mutated looking. Sometimes the plant will just drop it of it's own accord, but if you don't want ugly or misshapen fruit, you could pick them off.

• terrybull
    15 years ago

like this

• cyumickey
    15 years ago

the megabloom in the first pic I posted is growing! I think it will be a mutant. I also saw another mutant on my plant that must have been a megabloom, too. I'm pretty excited about this (not quite sure why, though). lol

• reaverg
    15 years ago

mine too mickey, but the first stigma wasn't pollinated so half of it is growing again. I say my plant has been so stingy (0) that I'll let it go.

• tomahtohs
    15 years ago

I get excited about megablooms as well, Mickey. I just like to see how they turn out, as they look nothing like "Conventional" perfectly shaped tomatoes. They have more character.

• wvtomatoman
    15 years ago

I don't know for sure what causes fused blossoms. I always assumed it was a combination of genetics and weather.

Randy

p.s. I still call them fused blossoms not megablooms. I still call varieties heirlooms or open pollinated, not heritage.

• hobertgkeithbell_south_net
    12 years ago

My tomatoes are about waist high, some small tomatoes and very few blooms. I think that there should be more blooms.I started with 10/10/10, should I have use something with less nitrogen? Thanks

• HU-76484577
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So I was picking my midnight snack cherry tomatoes I got this.

Not sure if it was a megabloom but it sure was unexpected!