Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stupice Foliage Sparce?

Posted by Coconut_Head 5b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 7:57

I have 6 Stupice plants among my 48 plants I am growing this year. They are billed to be an early and heavy producer of pretty darn good tomatoes. They are a potato leaf variety and this happens to be my first run with anything potato leafed (including potatoes themselves).

Now so far the plant seems to be living up to it's reputation. At this point, my tomatoes are in the 3-4 Ft tall range and just putting on thier first fruit sets. Most of the bigger varieties have several to nearly ten green tomatoes on the vine. The stupice plants have about 16-20 per plant and there are quite a few which are bigger than golfball size. I think stupice gets about as big as a peach, so I would say some are pretty close to being fully sized.

The only thing I am noticing is the foliage is very sparse? I was expecting a potato leaf variety with the broader leaves to be an even thicker canopy than the regular leaf kinds. To my suprise, most of the fruit are hanging right out in the open. Now I am florida weaving, so maybe this is effecting the canopy,but it still just looks sparser than the rest of my plants.

Anyone grown stupice before and noticed this? Or perhaps it's common with all potato leaf varieties? The plants are nice and green and healthy and they are absolutely loaded with fruit and new flower clusters.

CH

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stupice Foliage Sparce?

CH,

I've grown Stupice many times, even Stupike which is one of the versions bred in the Czech Republic and it always has a very vigorous foliage cover, always.

I also have grown probably several hundred PL varieties and with very few exceptions they also have a vigorous foliage cover with only a few being what you'd call sparse.

Actually I prefer PL varieties, but not ones that were originally RL, b'c I find that the PL varieties are less susceptible to foliage diseases and have suggested that it might be due to a thicker epidermis on the upper leaf surface.

But I have no scientific proof for that and some will agree with me that they too see less foliage diseases with PL varieties and some will say that they don't see that.

Carolyn

o

Interesting, I'll have to take some pics at lunch and share them, perhaps I am seeing something that is not there. Or more accurately not seeing something that is there. Maybe it's just that they have so many fruit that there is some illusion of less leaves?

CH

o

Ok Here are some pics. It's a little hard to discern the foliage because I have two rows per bed. But you can tell clearly by the shadows on the ground.

Stupice

Photobucket

Chocolate Stripe

Photobucket

Giant Belgium

Photobucket

Dagma's Perfection

Photobucket

San Marzano Redorta

Photobucket

Italian Heirloom - Also in this angle you can see the shadow comparisons from several rows. The stupice is all the way at the top bed on the left had side.

Photobucket

So is this anything I should be worried about?

CH

o

So your Stupice is PL, that we know. And it's being grown the same as the others you show, that's good.

But those Stupice plants sure do have foliage that looks kind of sparse, I agree.

The other main variable is if you raised the Stupice plants from seed, what was the seed source, if you're comfortable sharing that with us, as in traded seed,commercial seed site, whatever, or purchased as plants from a nursery or big box store or farmers market.

Carolyn

o

Glad you see it too! Ok, so all of my plants (Save 1 CP) were started from seed that I purchased from Tomatofest. I started them all in a flat in little rows and then transplanted into plastic cups. The stupice and Homer Fikes had lower germination rates than some of the others, but the ones that did germinate did well enough once I potted them up.

And actually, my Homer fikes which only 3 survived were very small when I planted them out and they were planted out weeks after the Stupice as I was still trying to hand sift dirt to fill my last two beds. The Homer Fikes though are just as big, if not bigger than the stupice and have decent foliage.

I think thats a different topic alltogether, but perhaps it's possible that there was some stress as a seedling that is still effecting them? It is weird though because they have so many fruit trusses. You can see the tops of the stupice plants there is a lot of yellow. I am a little concerned with the fruits getting sun scald.

One other bad thing is that they are on the furthest south/east side of the beds, so they only get shaded by thier neighbors in late afternoon.

CH

o

Here is a possible scenario I just thought about. Being as this is the first year on these raised beds, perhaps I inadevertantly layered the cardboard thicker under that paticular spot, and maybe the plants are just having a hard time getting the roots to grow through it? It's just a little strang because they have so much more fruiting clusters than any other of my varieties.

CH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here