Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who has been eating my tomatos :(

Posted by fishacura 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 8:11

So I went out to look at my tomato plants yesterday and noticed a couple were black on the bottom. Then I noticed a plump little friend on a leaf. Some sore of catapillar. He's "granny smith apple" green with a dozen or so tiny white legs. He's very plump and probably the size of a mini snickers bar (maybe a bit less thick). I AM SURE HE HAS FRIENDS. Anyone know:

1. What this little bugger is?
2. If a mix of cayenne pepper/water will get rid of him and his friends?

This is my first year of gardening and I"m looking for any advice you may have. THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who has been eating my tomatos :(

Possibly a Tomato Hornworm or Tobacco Hornworm?
Either way, the best way to stop them that I know of is to just pick them up and drop them in a bucket of soapy water. Insecticidal soap will kill them but only if it is sprayed on them, and they're so big they're just easier to pick up and drop in the bucket. BT supposedly works too, but I've never had a bad enough infestation to bother.

o

Thanks! What is BT????

o

If he's as big as you describe, he's too old for Bt to be effective.

Bt is short for Bacillus thuringiensis. It's useful against chomping caterpillars if the are less than half-grown. Same goes for any other pesticide.

After that age, deal with the cats directly: cut in half or drop into soapy water.

As for the black bottom, read the FAQ about BER (blossom end rot).
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/tomato/

Here is a link that might be useful: BER

o

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 5, 11 at 15:07

Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) may not be effective on large worms, but fishacura, as you said "I AM SURE HE HAS FRIENDS" and they will be affected by a nice doping with Bt.

But of course, your mileage may vary.

Betsy

o

Thanks to all. It also appears those things that I thought were legs were clearly those wasp larve I read about so all good info to have!!!

o

I have noticed a couple of my tomatoes wear eaten on, Last year i drench my plants with a Thuracide spray and there was no more... I hope it works again. dang things are disgusting, anyone else use Thuracide on there Plants ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here