Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amish paste vs Roma

Posted by fruitmaven.WIz5 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 8:36

I bought an Amish Paste tomato plant this spring (I'm lucky to have a nearby nursery with great varieties!) and then someone gave me an extra Roma plant. They are right next to each other in my garden, planted the same day and are ripening about the same time. Roma was my first non-cherry tomato that was ripe. I ate it and said, meh. A few days later the first Amish Paste was ripe and I had it on a lettuce and tomato sandwich. It was so good, I almost cried! Sweet and rich, meaty and juicy, absolutely lovely. I'll never plant a Roma again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amish paste vs Roma

I read a report that amish paste were much more sensitive to disease pressures. Did you have any issues in your garden with blights this year or any indication at all that the Amish paste was a less robust plant to disease or environmental pressures?

o

And if paste types is what you want to grow for some reason there are other varieties that even better than Amish Paste although none of the paste types are really noted for their flavor when compared to non-paste types.

Dave

o

I haven't had any issues with disease in any of my tomatoes. I planted Opalka and Viva Italia paste tomatoes as well, but they are in a new bed with heavy clay soil so they haven't grown much or ripened yet.

The on issue I noticed with Amish Paste was that it almost wilted during long stretches of heat and drought. It turned its leaves upside down, very odd looking. I should have taken pictures.. I just watered it every few days and it grew fine. It's plenty vigorous in my garden, and a really lovely flavor.

o

I have never considered Amish Paste to be a paste variety for the same reason you mentioned, that it's juicy, it also has a lot of seeds and true paste varieties should have dense flesh with few seeds. It's an example of several varieties that are not paste varieties that were named for shape only. Another one is Lillian's Kansas Red Paste which isn't a paste variety either.

There are lots of threads here where folks have shared what their best paste varieties have been, if its paste/sauce varieties you're looking for. I could do the same once again here at GW but to be honest most of my long time tomato friends long ago have switched to making paste and sauce from the best tasting varieties they grow in antone season, regardless of color or shape.

That makes for some interesting colored sauce on pasta but who cares since the sauce is usually wonderfully tasty.

Romas? not for me with few exceptions. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

I'm not planning on making tomato paste, but I'd love to can stewed tomatoes for my winter stews and casseroles. I don't particularly care if they are paste varieties or not, I'll pur�e whatever I have extra and can or freeze it.

I'm still loving the flavor of the Amish Paste, I'll have to plant more next year!

o

I tried Amish paste last year and some others but after putting a lot of tomatoes through the food mill for sauce I think you should try San Marzano Redorta, big tomatoes, good taste very little seeds and juice. IMO good luck and enjoy!

o

Amish paste is a very tasty tomato but after growing it for 2 years in a row, I have to say it's not the most robust of tomatoes. It tends to fall over and it has small leaves. As Dr Male mentioned in her book, it's wimpy.

o

Amish paste is a very tasty tomato but after growing it for 2 years in a row, I have to say it's not the most robust of tomatoes. It tends to fall over and it has small leaves. As Dr Male mentioned in her book, it's wimpy.

Yes, it's wimpy and droopy with very narrow dissected leaves but so are almost ALL of the heart varieties and also many of the other paste varieties, and no one will ever stop me from growing the heart varieties, b'c I think they have some of THE best tastes around. ( smile)

Carolyn, who has signed off on every post she's done since 1982 as Carolyn, and prefers to be called Carolyn. ( wink)

o

Carolyn, I went looking for your book this morning since I'm a researcher, and want to plan what varieties of tomatoes to grow next year. It's not available in print, as I'm sure you're aware. (And people are asking some astonishing prices for good condition used books.) Have you thought about making it an ebook? My husband is a computer guy, and says self-publishing is very easy now.

Luckily, my library has a copy. But if I like it, I'd want to add it to my collection.

o

I'm growing Super San marzano and I find it looks wimpy too! I thought something was wrong with it. Carolyn, you have a book? I'm new to GW.

o

Second the recommendation for San Marzano Redorta. Much more vigorous than Amish Paste or any other good tasting sauce tomato I've ever grown. This is one decidedly not wimpy tomato. Yield and taste are both great and it has only a minimum amount of BER here.

o

San Marzano is definitely on my list for next year. Hmm, I wonder if my local nurseries carry that one. I might have to try starting plants from seed, if not. I had bad luck with peppers this spring, but if I get a grow light, the seedlings grow better.

o

I have seen regular San Marzano seedlings at the nursery but don't think I've seen any special strains of it such as super San Marzano or Redorta.

o

I have grown Amish Paste 2 years in a row. Last year it didn't do so well, but I think that was my fault. Too close to the cukes & they took over the area. This year it did great! The fruit was very large, meaty, and great taste. They also did well in the really hot weather. Really did not have much seeds, or pulp. They weren't sloppy, juicy like some varieties, but neither were they dry or tasteless like a Roma. They looked like Roma's on major doses of steroids, lol. Most of them were as large, or larger than my whole hand. They were great on sandwiches & held up well in freezing & canning. No doubt I will grow more next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here