Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pabstbluribbin

Newbie with Questions

This is my first post on GW, though I've been reading a lot of the great information that is on here already, so thanks to those who have given me great advice! I am a newbie gardener, this is our second year gardening, and our first using SFG. We were in a community garden last year and too many issues made it a bad season for us so we decided to do raise beds in our back yard. We have two 4' x 6' raised beds with modified Mel's Mix (50% Mushroom Compost, 25% each Vermiculite/Peat Moss).

I have run into a couple issues and am hoping for some advice. See pictures below. It appears to be BER and Leaf Spot or Early Blight, not sure which. Any ideas on how to resolve the problem before it gets worse? I had problems earlier this year with tip burn on head lettuce (I think) which also appears to be calcium deficiency. Temps have been on average about 85 here. At one point I was deep watering every other day, but as I read more this seemed like too much so I've cut back to twice a week (less when it rains). I am also not using any mulch. Any help/advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated! I fear that overwatering and lack of mulch may be leaching the soil of nutrients and leaving the top layer too dry.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms