Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
BER question

Posted by ediej1209 5 N Central OH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 8:56

I thought I had a handle on the BER thing. But now I am not sure what's going on out there. I threw out a bunch of half-rotten "greenies" earlier this month but everything else looked fine. Now we are finding that every tomato that is turning has BER, too. And many of them, as soon as they started to show a little color, I checked the bottoms and they looked fine then, but not now. I am SOOO bummed. So can anyone tell me at what stage BER normally shows up? We have now tossed at least 3 dozen tomatoes.
Thanks,
Edie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: BER question

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 12:24

BER (Blossom End Rot) usually shows up on the early tomatoes when the plant is not yet mature enough to handle proper transport to the ends of the fruit. Inconsistent watering, wacky weather, rapid growth of the plant (especially in cases of too much nitrogen fertilizer), or the soil pH being out of the 6.5 range can affect the duration of BER problems. Generally patience and time are the only solutions for the problem. None of the old gardener's remedies will work to cure BER.

Betsy

o
RE: BER question (forgot link)

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 12:29

Sorry, I meant to add a link to the FAQ on Blossom End Rot.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ page on Blossom End Rot

o

So can anyone tell me at what stage BER normally shows up?

Technically, when contributing conditions are right, it can show up at any time. It is most common in young developing fruit though it may not be visible immediately. When found on breaker or even ripe fruit then the damage was already done, just not detectable.

Dave

o

OK - thanks. I try to pull the "clunkers" ASAP to help the plants not waste energy on them, and most years there are only a few green ones then things even out quickly, but this year has been the strangest year. Especially when trying to grow in pots with torrential downpours and terrible heat in between storms.
Edie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here