Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2011 Winners and not...

Posted by woodcutter2008 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 9:07

Momotoro is a winner for me this year. My only complaint is the lack of "tang" to go with the sweetness. I still find Golden Girl and a few other old-timers slightly better in flavor.

My experience with "Smarty F1" is not so great. Reminds me a lot of a smaller Juliet. Yields like crazy, but the flavor is (to me) quite weak. Still, if I had these in January for salads, I'd be a very happy camper. I hope that Mountain Magic will be better.

Sun Sugar -- catalogs mention thin skin that is not prone to crack as does Sun Gold, but they don't mention that the skins are thin but tough. Not a winner for me.

Bonnie Select? -- this was labeled as a Bonnie Original (indeterminate), but the plant is about 2-1/2' tall, and it is sure appears to be determinate, so I think it was mislabeled when I purchased it. Still, a good tomato with good yield and good overall flavor. I think this variety would do fine in an EarthBox (the real deal).

-WC2K8

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2011 Winners and not...

my most pleasant surprise this yr has been a Burpee that I raised from seed called Sunny Boy. Big producer of banana colored fruit mostly round and many are softball sized. Several have weighed a pound or more. I will grow it again next yr.

o
RE: 2011 Winners and not...

Woodcutter said: "Momotoro is a winner for me this year. My only complaint is the lack of "tang" to go with the sweetness."

We've been growing Momotaro for about 5 years now and it runs spotty from very good to fairly bland (last year)tastewise. It's very popular here in Orange County and of course, Japan where it originated.

My surprise this year is Kentucky Beefsteak - good producer and tastes great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here