Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disease resistant tomatoe question

Posted by kiropod 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 9:21

I've been doing some investigation over the past few days into disease resistant tomatoes. It appears that they really do reduce the incident of late blight,etc. My question to those on this forum is; How do they taste? Thanks for your reply. It appears that defiant. Jasper, Iron Lady, Mountain magic/merit are the more popular varieties.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disease resistant tomatoe question

I think you might mean Early Blight rather than Late Blight? Any resistance to Late Blight is difficult to document although I know some claim it.

Mountain Magic is the only one I have tried of your list and while it might be a bit more tolerant of EB and Septoria IME it isn't actually resistant. And since it develops anyway I find I'd rather have a better tasting, larger fruit. I wasn't impressed with the size or the flavor personally. It tastes like a store-bought tomato plus it is a very small fruit.

Previous reviews of Mountain Merit here don't seem to praise it especially either.

Dave

o

Hi Dave

According to what I have read, Defiant has high resistance to late blight, and intermediate resistance to early blight, fusarium wild 1 and 2.

o

What is the source of your reading? Seed vendors or actual research studies? Seed vendors claim many things that aren't supported by actual research. :) Can you link to them for us?

Dave

o

I will find the info and get back from you. I believe it is from a University. Mike

o

Check out Cornell University research paper- Managing late blight in tomato and potato- An essential part of gardening.
www.longislandhort.cornell.edu/vegpath/late. Check out Cornell chronicle as well on Iron Lady tomatoes. http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2013/03/ready-plant-iron-lady-tomato-punches-out-blights

There are other articles that support this position, however I am certainly not an expert, just looking for answers too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here