Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinkstoomuch

Eating tomatoes - Daconil

thinkstoomuch
14 years ago

Hi All,

This question was addressed here a couple of years ago, but was never really answered.

I currently have a handful of tomato plants. They appear to be healthy to me. My concern is that from what I read, this summer's weather in my area (Boston) is prime for developing certain diseases/fungi on the tomato plants. So, out of fear, I picked up some Daconil with the intention of starting a regular preventative treatment. After reading the instructions, I've learned that you aren't supposed to harvest any fruit for seven days after application.

So - how do you users of Daconil work around that when your tomatoes are ripening on a continual basis? Pick at anytime and just wash the fruit really well?

Thanks,

Kim

Comments (7)

• mulio
    14 years ago

You would pick fruit with any color at all (they will ripen off the vine just the same as long as they have color), spray and then wait until you can do that again.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Yep, even with over 100 plants all you have to do is pick then spray, then wait 7 days to pick again. You shouldn't leave fruit on the plant until ripe anyway. You pick at blush or break so a 7 day wait is seldom any problem.

Dave

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Since your question was about eating tomatoes, do what Mulio said, but know also that Daconil can be sprayed up to the day of harvest, so if you're one who prefers vine ripened fruits, as I do since I have no crietters where I am that bother the tomatoes, then just wash the tomatoes gently and eat fresh or use for whatever purpose(s) you want to.

Carolyn, where the person who gardens for me now that I can't was just out there spraying Daconil on the tomatoes for Late BLight and fungal foliage pathogens such as Early Blight and Septoria Leaf spot, and the few potatoes I have, as well as the cukes and squash for mildew, but severe T storms are predicted yet again for today and the next many days, so it's one step forward and then several steps backwards trying to help prevent LB here and folks to my N, E, W and S have confirmed LB. Sigh.

• thinkstoomuch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all....
    I appreciate the quick responses!
    Kim

• ceh2101
    14 years ago

Hi there, I live south of Boston and have had the same problem, but I sprayed Bonide Fung-onil from concentrate instead of Daconil. Both products are made from the same chemical, so I was wondering if anyone knew why my product says that the tomatoes can be eaten in 0 days after spraying.

• seeker11
    14 years ago

ceh2101,
    I've been using Daconil for years, and every container I've ever bought says that it can be used until the day of harvest for tomatoes. In other words, the fruit can be eaten in 0 days after spraying. I don't understand why thinkstoomuch's container would say something different.

thinkstoomuch (Kim),
    Could you possibly check the instructions again? Is it possible that you read the directions for some fruit, but didn't see the ones for tomatoes?

• canningmania
    14 years ago

Today, fearihg the arrival of late blight, my husband sprayed our tomato plants with daconil. He used the spray bottle, which did not spray well at all. In any case, the directions say 0 days until harvest, 7 days before re-applying. We have never used this product before; in fact, we garden organically and seldom use any insecticide or fungicide, but felt it was absolutely necessary at this point. Hopefully it works!