Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solanaceae rootstock

Posted by Hypershock none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 9:34

I want to conduct a grafting experiment, with multiple varieties of tomatoes/chillies/eggplants/tamarillos/tomatillos etc growing on the same plant.
Partly I want to grow annual tomatoes as perennials, and partly I just like experimenting.

Does anyone have suggestions for what may make suitable rootstock for my little experiment?

Desirable traits for my rootstock include:
Doesn't make the fruit toxic (so deadly nightshade is probably out unless I'm mistaken about the effects of grafting)
Being long-lived/perennial (able to grow for 10+ years would be nice but unlikely)
Strong, woody stem (to support the many different varieties)
Large size
Readily accept scions
Disease resistance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solanaceae rootstock

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 10:07

Maxifort is the most commonly used root stock and would seem to meet all your requirements. Check out all the other discussions here on grafting for more details.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafting discussions

o
RE: Solanaceae rootstock

What are the traits of Maxifort? Is it available in Australia?

I've heard of people grafting eggplants onto wild tobacco (which grows as a weed here in Brisbane). I'd like to try this, but I don't want my tomatoes laced with nicotine. Would this happen or is it safe?

I think I'm more looking for a list with

"What is the most long lived plant in the Solanaceae family?"
"What is the most tree-like plant in the Solanaceae family?"
etc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here