Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillycatt

No blossoms on tomato plant

jillcatt
10 years ago

I bought a tomato plant around 6 weeks ago at Aldi (not the most reliable plant source, I know) and planted it in my garden where it gets about 6 hours of sunlight daily. Now it's over 3 feet high with luxuriant foliage but not a blossom in sight. The weird thing is that I have not fertilized it at all! Not knowing what was in the soil it was potted in, I decided to wait a while and see how it did without fertilizer. Any ideas on what could be causing the absence of blossoms?

Comments (4)

• Bets
    10 years ago

What variety is your tomato plant? If it is a long season one, it may not be ready to bloom yet.

How has the weather been where you are?

Enquiring minds want to know (and the info may give better insight into the issue you are experiencing).

Betsy

• jillcatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, on further thought, I did not purchase it at Aldi, but from an actual nursery. (Irrelevant, perhaps.) The name is German Johnson, it's an Heirloom Beefsteak, the tag says it matures in 85 days. Does that make it a late-season tomato, or just average? Our weather has featured abundant rainfall and temps in the 80s-90s the past couple of weeks.

• robertz6
    10 years ago

If that is your only tomato plant, things could be worse. I started out with 15 plants last year, and barely had enough tomatoes for salads.

This year the rainfall has been abundant, and everyone's tomatoes (plants anyway) look healthy. I plant 15-20 plants a year, a mix of cherry and large, some heirlooms and some hybrids. If I get five fruits on the Brandywine plants, I'm happy.

If your weather got very hot about the time the blossoms set (right word??), that might account for the lack of blossoms.

If you want a fair amount of fruit from only a few tomato plants, get some cherry tom plants.

1) ripen at least as quickly as big fruits
    2) taste better in October and first week or two of November (I'm in Zone 6) than bigger fruited plants
    3) produce a nice amount of tomatoes.
    And you don't get a heart attack when a squirrel takes a bite out of one of your lovely big toms -- then takes a bite out of a different one!

• Bets
    10 years ago

85 days is usually considered to be a later tomato. Kind of on the end of midseason or an early late if that makes sense. Bear in mind, the Days to Maturity (DTM) is just a rough guideline. It can vary significantly from year to year.

What the DTM means is that from the day you transplant into the garden, it will be roughly 85 days until you get ripe fruit from your plant. Six weeks after transplant, I would expect that you should have seen some blossoms by now. If I recall correctly, the cycle on tomatoes is about 4 weeks, so you should have had some blooms. Perhaps they were not ready to bloom at 4 weeks after transplant, so they may bloom in the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately, that might mean you will not have time to get ripe fruit from GJ.

How large was the plant when you bought it, and what size container was it in? If it was an older plant, sometimes they take longer to adapt to being transplanted. (Especially if it was root bound.)

However, the most common reason for lush plants with no blossoms, is overloving tomatoes with excess nitrogen. Any chance the ground was fertilized before the tomato was transplanted? Is it near a grassy area that has been fertilized with a high nitrogen fertilizer and it could have gotten some runoff with the rain or watering?

Betsy

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022