10 years ago

Finally, some blushing tomatoes.

Sweet Million (OP) and Purple Cherokee.

I can't wait for them to ripen!

Linda

Comments (7)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Linda, that would be Cherokee Purple, not the reverse, but it tells me you either bought seeds from a place where Seeds by Design in CA sold them seeds or you traded with someone who sent them to you with the name reversed.

It was Seeds by Design in CA, a wholesale place, who sent out seed lists to many commercial places and were the first to reverse the name.

They made some other errors as well, including seeds for some wrong varieties to commercial places.

Carry on. ( smile)

Carolyn

• labradors_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carolyn, thanks for correcting me. I've seen it written both ways and didn't think it really mattered - oops!

It seems more logical to put the colour first, but I guess we shouldn't play fast and loose with a registered name!

I actually bought these seeds from Tyron Palace in New Bern, NC and they are labelled correctly.

I can't wait to taste them. I always assumed they were late to ripen, but these will be one of my earliest this year.

Linda

• njitgrad
    10 years ago

Very nice. The Cherokees are on the top of my list for next year's seeds. I have a habit of planning things a bit too late.

This post was edited by njitgrad on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 15:10

• labradors_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Me too njitgrad,

But just think what a head start we will have for next year!

Linda

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I would harvest those before the bugs or whatever get them or it rains and they split. Nothing is gained by leaving them on the vine at that point and the risks increase daily.

Dave

• njitgrad
    10 years ago

Agree with Dave, I've been picking mine when they look like that and putting them on my kitchen counter out of sunlight.

• labradors_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments folks!

I was wondering if I should pick them, in light of people saying that there's no point in leaving them on the vine to ripen as they will ripen just as well on my kitchen counter. (This was something I learned here). I was going to leave them just a little longer, but then I spotted a bunny INSIDE my raised veggie garden with a little fence to keep the dogs out! Buns ran off when he saw me and had no problem squeezing under the green plastic fencing on the other side... I think I'd better grab those maters while I still can!

Linda

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert