Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help

Posted by ChicagoDeli37 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 9:53

Why is this happening to a lot of my tomatoes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help

Could you post pics of plant it was picked from as well? It looks blight-ish to me but foliage and plant appearance could give more clues. You could also give some plant info in terms of temperatures, watering habits etc.

Cheers,
Djole

o

The cracking could be environmental but that greyish soft spot seems like some kind of fungal infection.

o

Did it split first, and then rot? It looks like you got a little sun scald on the crack, and that hastened the rotting.

o

• Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 12:57

Looks like typical cracking from inconsistent water levels.

This can happen when a dry period is followed by a heavy rain.

If you pick the fruit when they first start to blush instead of leaving them on the vine for several more days, you can avoid a lot of the deep cracking without sacrificing any flavor.

Your pics show that you left them on the plant after the cracking had begun. The cracks exposed the inside of the fruit to the elements and mold started to grow.

Here's one big ugly Cherokee Purple that I picked this morning:

If I had left it out there a few more days it could have been a moldy mess.

o

Agree with robeb - cracking followed by grey mold development. Stabilize moisture levels to prevent the cracking and pick sooner to prevent the mold developing.

If you have a lot of cracking/splitting going on then let us know your watering method and pattern as that is what is causing it.

Dave

o

Here's pictures of what plant they came off.
I have 4 better bush doing well. I try and
Deep water every other day unless its extremely
Hot. The soil that's in them isn't the same as the soil inside my raised beds
it holds more water and is other denser.
The 4 better bush are in front and not in cage

Here's the group I picked today about 5 we're. Cracked. Lokjbg.

o

How deep is the soil they are planted in? If it is as shallow as it looks you will likely need to water every day. Be sure to pick any that are at breaker stage before watering.

Dave

o

Soil is straight into the earth...grass used to be there

o

Soil is straight into the earth...grass used to be there

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here