Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is a tomato ripe for picking?

Posted by gsevens 5 Southern NH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 24, 09 at 10:16

I don't eat tomatoes. I know, I know....How can I not like tomatoes. I eat everything made with tomatoes, just not plain tomatoes. I am growing 1 early girl, 1 Bush beefsteak, and 6 Big Boy that someone gave to me.

Anyway, how do I know when to pick the tomatoes? I had a couple on the early girl turn red, but they stayed pretty hard for a while. I picked them, then they started to soften a bit on the counter. I don't know if they should be a tad bit soft, or just how firm they should be.

So far I have been told the tomatoes were delicious. I don't know what I am doing with tomatoes, but I must have done something right. For someone that does not eat tomatoes, I should have plenty to harvest for friends and family later in the year. The Big Boys have already grown out of the cages and I've weaved them into my fence because I bought cages that were only 3' tall. I think they are way to small for the Big Boys.

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is a tomato ripe for picking?

Hi Paul,

This is discussed all the time around here. Here's a recent thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: about harvesting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here