Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pollination

Posted by ngrrsn 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 10:17

I read that to attract bumble (and other) bees to your tomatoes to pollinate them, you can mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1 gal of water and spray the tomatoes. I have two questions about this: 1. Wouldn't this attract pests as well? 2. When mixing for a humming bird feeder, to mimic natural necture the ratio is 1 part sugar to 4 parts water---isn't 1/2 cup to 1 gallon too weak to attract bees?

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pollination

ng, you don't need to attract insect pollinators to your tomato blossoms b'c about 90% of the time when weather permits, the pollen present on the anthers of a blossom self pollenize the stigma of that same blossom.

Bumble bees and sweat bees and other insect pollinators aren't going to the tomato blossom for nectar b'c tomato blossoms don't have nectar. They go to harvest the pollen as protein food.

Carolyn

o

Oh! You have given a retired lazy man hope! I had read that while tomatoes are self fertilizing, that they were not true self pollinators and needed something to shake the pollen out to the stigma; and that in South America a specific tomato bee sets up a vibration that we try to mimic with vibrations such as from electric tooth brushes, shaking the plant, hoping for windy days, or attracting bumblebees. So, they recommended sugar water to attract them and said bumblebees do a better job than honey bees at this task. I would much rather let the tomato plants do the work themselves!

o

When weather conditions are right for self pollenization usually that happens naturally, but yes, there are some who shake plants, some who use electric toothbrushes to help the pollen fall to the stigma and a few Iknow who have taken a broom to the plants and gently whaked them. But the effectiveness of those methods I think is called into question b'c there are no control plants ever used. ( wink)

But the fact is that as the bud matures to a blossom and the stigma starts to push up, it makes contact with the pollen bearing anthers usually before the blossom is even fully open.

No nectar in tomato blossoms so make some sugar water for the hummingbirds if you want to. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

LOL! Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here