Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spotty leaf patrol

Posted by emmers_m 6 Northern NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 10:26

How often do you patrol your tomatoes for fungal disease control? And what are your QA standards for leaves you remove?

I've been doing it daily, and removing any leaf that shows the tiniest spot that looks like a lesion (vs. mechanical or insect damage.)

But it's consuming most of my daily gardening time, and I'm worried that I'm stressing the plants with excessive pruning.

But even with my daily patrols (and spraying Serenade and Actinovate every week) I'm still coming away with one or more handfuls of spotty foliage each day.

So can I relax my vigilance at all, or will that just turn it from a foothold situation into a full-scale invasion?

~emmers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spotty leaf patrol

Slow down a bit and just remove the leaves that are really obvious, say...more than 25% damaged. Keep up the spraying an see how it goes.

Dave

o
RE: spotty leaf patrol

Thanks for that Q and A, I've been doing the same thing, having the same concerns, and appreciate Dave's answer.

Seems like there's a pruning balance between keeping the plant healthy from fungus and keeping enough leaves to avoid problems like sunscald....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here