Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flo9_gw

Tomato twilight zone

flo9
9 years ago

Yeah, I've been in the "tomato twilight zone" for a couple weeks now scratching my head what the heck is going on here. Here's a story of what has happened to me.

It's my mission to plant new types of tomatoes each year.. about 5 types since limited space.

Last year I saved seeds from each plant I grew for the first time ever and I had them in a bleach solution in part of the process since some had gotten blight. Ok... I lost track of some containers what they were because I didn't label them all and it taking 5 days etc... but I thought for sure one batch I did were a white cherry type and I had shared about 10 seeds each to a few people. Well, out of curiosity I grew 2 seeds from the same packet to make sure they germinated, and they did. I know I labeled the cups correctly when I planted them. 1 plant died later.. was my fault.

Okay, in meanwhile I had ordered some black sea seeds online. I have never tasted these before. I did 2 seeds of these that both germinated. They were super quick to put out flowers... tiny ones etc.. I'm like oh no... these look like cherry tomatoes. In meanwhile what I had labeled cherry is flowering... needed to wait a little... and yeah.. they are big tomatoes now still growing.

So I'm like... did I label the cups wrong??? Also I am like I wasted a 7 gallon pot on a cherry plant... could of stuck the 2 together in 1 pot.

The conclusion???? The seeds I ordered online... they sent me a dark orange or red cherry tomato seeds..... absolutely NOT a nice surprise for me. Some are changing color now and look nothing like the white cherries I grew for a few years. Plus the leaves are different.

My seeds I saved from last year.... so far I've pinned them down to be a pineapple or large white tomato. I won't know for sure until about another week.

Dang it... I really wanted some black seas this year!!!!!! LOL

This post was edited by flo9 on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 10:34

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Roanoke Landscapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Botetourt's Full Scope Landscaping ServicesBest of Houzz Winner