Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cateyanne

when wil they ripen?

cateyanne
15 years ago

seems like my toms have been green forever. I could swear I usually have fresh toms in July, but here we are entering August and no color change in site. Has the weather affected the timing of anyone else's tomato harvest? I'm in Northern Ohio. I've got tons of toms, nice and plump on very healthy vines, seems like no problems. I getting worried that all I'll have is greenies!

I am getting older, memory slipping, or perhaps I'm getting older and impatient too! :)

Comments (25)

• bigdaddyj
    15 years ago

Every year is different. I think it depends mostly on weather. My tomatoes were later than normal this year too but they are here now in a big way. If you lived closer I'd have about 100 ripe ones for you...:)

• louster
    15 years ago

I feel your pain. Ours are late this year, too. I know for sure that last year, we were just starting to harvest at the end of July. We had such a long, cool spring this year, that must be what did it. Twice a day, at least, I go out to the garden looking for something, anything that is starting to blush.
    We've harvested Zucchini and some jalapeno's, but that's it. The waiting is hard!!

• gardenscout
    15 years ago

It's all part of the game. You know, the tomato game.

We spend all winter reading descriptions seed catalogs, then come March we worry about germination and damping off, and in May we plot our strategy for a plant out date.

By June we are proudly surveying our blossoms and fruitset, and we start checking to see if bacon is on sale. The extra jar of premium mayo has been in the pantry since April.

Then through July we wait. And we wait. We spray and we adjust their branched in their cages and we lovingly tie up their vines. But mostly we wait.

The solution to the July waiting game is to plant an early that is reliable and has decent taste. For that I recommend Bloody Butcher. I have been eating them since July 10, and they tide me over while I wait for the slicers. BB is best when you really let it ripen up, and the fruit size ranges from 1-4 inch diameter. I quarter them and stuff them into a sub roll for the first tomato sandwiches of the season. But I save the bacon for the slicers.

I thought one of my Cherokee Purple was breaking color this morning, but it was just a chance reflection off of my neighbor's red truck.

• puckhog
    15 years ago

my early girl has several that will be ready to eat in a day or two

• zzeasy
    15 years ago

I agree! Last year we canned our first tomatoes on July 27 so the crop was definitely in by then. So far this year I have picked a total of 4 full sized tomatoes, but have been picking about a quart each of sugar shack and juliett every day. Zucchini and cukes are producing and we get about 4 of each every day. Speaking of juliett---I've been planting them for about 6 or 7 years and every year they seem to be more like a regular plum (like a smaller roma) rather than the small long salad type tomato (loved cutting them into rings for salads!) they originally were. Skins seem tougher and thicker and the size is bigger too- I swear they were only about an inch an a half at first. I think this is my last year for them.

• mike_nyc_1975
    15 years ago

I feel your pain. I have about 100 beefsteaks on my plants and they are all green no signs of starting to get ripe. Hopefully it happens soon.

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Took the words right out of my mouth. The tomatoes are taking their sweet time to ripen. They're big, they're plentiful, and they've been green for weeks now.

Sheesh! Is this a form of torture? They sure are stubborn.

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess we're all in the same boat. I thought it was possibly the weather. bigdaddy; you're killing me :)
    gardenscout; You're singing my song! bacon and mayo, ready and waiting! I definitely will plan next year for some early varieties. I think age is making me more impatient than usual :

• johnh9600
    15 years ago

FINALLY!!! I picked two nice Costoluco Genovese today.... first ones! Followed up with the first BLT of the summer. Also picked a couple of Cherokee Purples.... a little early because I'm having some problems with fruitworms. Couple of days in the kitchen window and they'll be ready.

John

• brendalizallen
    15 years ago

I came back to lurk on the forum just to find another group of people who were also suffering from a sea of green tomatoes. While we have picked a handful of ripe tomatoes, it seems like they are just taking their sweet old time ripening. July 4th? I think we are lucky to have tomatoes on Aug 4th. :)

My peppers also seem to be doing bad this year - bells - not sure if it is the weather, my use of plastic much, soil, etc. But most are growing and then rotting in areas. I can't recall the last time I had a problem with peppers.

I thought with all the rain we had into the summer here in Maryland that it would be the best year yet... I think my pressure canner may sit another year.. but let's hope for the best!

• farfaraway
    15 years ago

This is my first year growing tomatoes (first year with a veggie garden!), and I, too, am waiting. It really stinks buying tomatoes at the farmer's market when you have five plants at home loaded with green fruit. Grrrr....

I've been eating a Stupice here and there for about two weeks, but the three Cherokee Purples and the enormous Gold Medal are just sitting there, the fruits getting fatter but remaining resolutely green. BUT, I did notice some color change on one of the Cherokee Purples yesterday! Hooray!

• hercules
    15 years ago

I haven't checked to see where each one of you are located, but many seem to be in the northeast. That said, here's the key to your woes on late ripening tomatoes.

We in the northeast have been stuck in a pattern of cool nights. That may be great for sleeping and other nighttime (undisclosed) activities, but for tomato ripening it's not good. When night temps drop below 68-70 degrees, tomato ripening goes on hold...slows waaayyy down! I know this is difficult to do, but have patience. When this pattern breaks (and it will), your 'maters will reward your faith with rapid ripening. They're just waiting for their chance!

Hal in PA

• brendalizallen
    15 years ago

I didn't think of the cool night situation - but I suppose here in MD it has been a hair cooler than expected. I should have noted that my cherry (Washington) tomatoes have been ripening for several weeks. So not all is lost...

• louster
    15 years ago

Just want you all to know, there is hope!!! I now have three tomatoes showing color. I walk thru the tomato patch, and my mouth waters. We bought half a pig from a neighbor last week, most of the meat is in the freezer, and the bacon should be coming by the end of this week....just in time. Take heart, everyone, the ripe ones are coming......

• carduus
    15 years ago

It really is a tossup, especially given the activity off Lake Erie. This year has been a particularly weird one. I just got my first ripe Sungold a couple days ago, whereas my MIL three blocks away has had cherry and mid-sized tomatoes for two or three weeks now.

Last year, I could have swore I was getting mid-sized tomatoes by this point. However, I have many many more tomatoes overall than last year that are green, so hopefully this will still be a good season.

Here is a link that might be useful: My first ripe tomato of the season

• solanaceae
    15 years ago

I posted this in another forum.

Last year:

http://home.att.net/~chicago_climo/CHI2007.gif

This year:

http://home.att.net/~chicago_climo/CHI2008.gif

See those blue 10-15 degree dips all through May?

Only Red Robbin Dwarfs have kept me in July Tomatoes. It was my fail safe option this year that I will expand next year plus another early type. I am sure I could do this earlier and certainly anyone with good south indoor window exposure could do so.

So a lessoned learned for me is to grow dwarf types and aim for June. And this is very possible. I particularly like the low light tolerance for Red Robbins as well.

Notice the broad dark leaves that seems to ease the light requirements . I think Tomato lovers should forget the Petunias on some of there hanging pots.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS224

{{gwi:1358400}}

• dan2647
    15 years ago

cateyanne--I hear what you are saying ! Normally I have picked and ate my first fruit already, but not this year. I planted 5 or 6 days later than usual. I think I have a Momotaro starting to change color. I'll know for sure by tomorrow. My taste buds have been ready for a week. Maybe if I stare at them they will start to turn red. Or maybe I will !!

• lilacs_of_may
    15 years ago

I have ten tomato plants, mostly paste varieties. All of them have flower buds or blooms; five of them have tomatoes forming. All in all I have about two dozen tomatoes and about half a dozen of them are ripening.

I'm going on a trip for five days. What will probably happen is that I'll come home to a hundred ripe tomatoes clamoring for attention and a dozen massive zucchinis.

• windclimber
    15 years ago

Gosh..........If only all the damaged blossoms from the constant high humidity had fertilized, we would need a couple of five gallon buckets to harvest. (sighhh)

Watch them close when they start to blush,... thats when the varmits strike:(

Don't you fret catyanne they will ripen..................

Been eating black cherry, sungold and sunsugar, right off the vine, cosmonaught volkovic, black and brown boar, Prue and giant belgian in that order of ripening. Just a few at a time .....Lots and lots green on the vine.

Remember...the last many years the warm weather extends into the fall now. Some GW members like myself have picked ripe maters in late Oct!!

So delectible!!!!!!!

It will be like this in a few days for you I would guess........ it never really gets superhot up there does it?

Tom

• meteor04
    15 years ago

I've been eating Celebritys, Principe Borghese, And yellow pears for a couple of weeks now. Looked at the garden after work today, and I'll have like 8 more mid-sized by this weekend.

Eating an Early girl with a sprinkle of salt right now (ran out and picked one after reading a bit of this thread).

• cateyanne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1 four days ago :]

2 two days ago :)

this morning, 5 :)

BLT's, salsa, stewed tomatoes, sauce.
    Am I ready?

here they come!!!! :o

• k2marsh
    15 years ago

What I learned this year. Plant your seed early.

I am in a warmer zone, but what I learned will apply to you. When I planted my first tomato plant out it was 27 inches tall and in bloom.

Of course you will have tomatoes earlier than those planted later.

See my Flicker photo of my first seed I planted.

Karyl

Here is a link that might be useful: First Early Seed Planted. Flicker Photo

• bill999
    15 years ago

Green tomatoes everywhere here in w. Pa. I planted Early Girl and Big Early back in May and they're still green. Got a few cherry tomatoes so far and that's it!

• leighreagan
    15 years ago

I am in Atlanta, and my tomatoes are still green too! I have fried 5 already because my husband couldn't wait any longer!!! Any day now...

• tcstoehr
    15 years ago

Lots of green tomatoes in the Pacific Northwest too. Later than usual. Weather has been quite lovely for a long time but I think cool night temps are to blame. Quite a few nights below 50 in July and August. Makes for beautiful sunny 80-85 degree days, I'll take it.
    I've got plenty of ripe Early Girl determinate bush variety. But Goose Creek, Sun Gold, and Early Girl indeterminate vines have nothing but green tomatoes.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm