Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobarchie

West TN... are your tomatoes overwhelmed with fungus?

Cobarchie
9 years ago

I've had 4 pretty successful years of growing tomatoes here in West Tennessee; last year I had a great season where I was giving away 50 pounds of tomatoes at a time for a couple of months. One plant on one day had 13 pounds of ripe tomatoes, not accounting for all the ones that weren't ripe.

This year, even using the same varieties I had last year, everything is taken over with fungus. A few weeks ago it appeared to be small dots in the leaves with eventual yellowing and now it seems to be a horrible, dark scabby affliction and everything just goes black and dies.

We had almost a month of straight rain where we had 7 - 10 inches in the first week or two of June. The plants were all doing fine before that and (I think this might be my problem) I hadn't sprayed any fungicides as a preventive measure when the rain started. Once we got a break in the weather I sprayed them, but I'm thinking it was too late.

I started with removing affected parts of the plants and using Ortho (chlorathalonil) spray, but it didn't have much effect. I have now switched to a copper fungicide hoping that might help where the Ortho stuff didn't and I'm still removing sick parts of the plants, but some plants seem to have little left over after a pruning.

I don't think it's my soil or gardening practices... I haven't really had this sort of trouble until the end of the growing season when all the plants just seem to die at once from the bottom up, so I haven't had the need to spray for fungus. I rotate the spots in the garden for plants each year. I layer grass and leaves all year long in the garden to keep weeds down and make my own soil in the process.

Sorry for the length of the post; it's just upsetting. We wanted to get into canning this year because we had so much abundance last year, but so far this season, we've only had a couple of dozen tomatoes out of 15 plants...

I was just wondering if everyone else around here is having the same problems, and I figured people would ask questions about what I do in the garden, so I put all of that in the opening post.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!