Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gregory_eleser

Racoons and Tomatoes

Gregory Eleser
16 years ago

Do racoons eat tomatoes?

Here is the evidence.

This morning and several other mornings I have found a half eaten 2 pound yellow brandywine tomato on the ground.

These tomatoes were picked, not chewed off of the vine. It takes me using both hands and a firm tug to pick one, so I know this animal is strong.

No evidence of plant damage. Sometimes the tomato is half eaten but left on the vine.

The row is next to a creek which is excellent cover.

Also, I bought the parent tomato at a farmer's market. It is a yellow brandywine and produces very well.

Each tomato is over one pound with many in the two to two and one half pound range. Is this a normal yellow fruiting brandywine trait?

Not very many seeds in it either. Tastes delicious!

Thanks for your replies in advance,

Gregory

Comments (10)

• hortist
    16 years ago

Yes they do.

Try to get rid of the racoon by trapping and releasing it at least 5 miles from your home in a non-populated area.

Racoons can carry the most virulent form of rabies. This highly contagious form is worse than what skunks, bats and ferral dogs carry. You dont want them around if you can avoid them.

Some people kill them and that is actually what my conservation agent said to do. They are getting over populated in many urban/suburban areas as they have no real predators.

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

Opposums are very clever too, I have some that wait until my apples are day-before-perfect to rob then. I thought it was raccoons but then saw an opposum with one. Stolen food tastes best, but to them it's just a matter of being hungry and you've got the table laid.

Both raccons and opossums can climb fencing. If trapping is not working, you can invest in an electification unit to enclose the fence with electrified wire and set it to give them a harmless but zinging jolt. They learn really quick.

• strax
    16 years ago

please do not release your pests into the countryside. if you dont have the heart to put them down, don't trap them. We dont want them here. We are sick of drop-off dogs, cats, squirrels, raccoons, etc. Drop off animals dont fit into the ecosystem and they either die quickly or starve/get disease and die slowly. You are not doing them any favors dropping them off to die and/or be someone else's problem.

• hortist
    16 years ago

When I called the state and asked what were my options my conservation agent told me to kill mine.

I reminded him that I would be breaking local ordinances if I did so and he said "wow you are in a catch-22".

He told me to release them on gov property and provided a lists of sites. This state has sites to do so. Some kinds of animals require notification that you were releasing them and one was limited to the amount of what species released.

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

I hope that you can catch the culprit that is eating your nice tomatoes. Man those sound like nice ones to lose that way.

Three properties back up to my property. The nothmost one is owned by our local "cat woman" but she keeps them housed and well cared for, no complaints. A big coon started eating her cat food where she fed some outside and she wanted to borrow my hav-a-hart trap. She caught a big old mean boar coon the first night and told me that she was glad that she had tied a thin cable on to the trap, because the thing had managed to tumble and roll the trap about 20 feet away from where it was set.

The animal control people told her that they were going to put the thing down because they thought that it was dangerous to urban pets etc., and did before they even took it out of the trap. They said that I must have a very good trap and were surprised that the coon had not torn it up.

It may have been the same one that Tom, her next door neighbor had caught a month or so before that had some screen wire and chicken wire caught on it, like it had been into someone's chicken pen. Tom got the wire off and released the thing, which I thought at the time was a mistake.

I have had a possum relocation program ongoing for several years, but there always seems to be at least one more around. I usually give them a ride to the river bottom, the alligators, cougars, bob cats, foxes and wolves probably need to find food there rather than come into urban neighborhoods any more often than they already do.
    Bill P.

• billtex
    16 years ago

IF YOU HAUL OFF COONS THEY WILL EVENTUALLY COME BACK OR SOME OTHER COON WILL TAKE ITS PLACE. i HAVE LOTS OF COONS AND THE POLICE SAID THE ONLY SAFE WAY TO GET RID OF THEM IS TO SHOOT THEM, BUT WIFE WONT LET ME. I REALLY DOUGHT COONS ARE THE CULPRIT. I WOULD SUSPECT POSSUMS,WOODCHUCKS, OR SOMETHING ELSE. COONS HAVE NEVER ATE MY TOMS IN PAST 8 YEARS. BILL W

• hortist
    16 years ago

Bill

when you put a half eaten tomato in a trap and next day find a racoon in the trap and the half eaten tomato gone you can be assured some coons eat tomatoes.

• Gregory Eleser
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanx to all of you for your responses.

I plant to trap whatever it is and send it off to boot hill!

Greg

• drtomato
    16 years ago

'07
    5-COONS
    11-OPOSSIUM
    2-RABBIT
    ?-CHIPMUNKS
    1-SQUIRREL

'06
    24-COONS
    4-OPOSSIUM