Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue tomatoes are ripening! ..with pic

Posted by obuckeye1997 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 11:48

Hello, Thought you might enjoy seeing the latest picture of my OSU blue tomatoes that are ripening. the color is pretty intense and is best where the sun hits them. They are ripening from the top down. Still pretty hard so not ready to pick yet. The biggest are roughly golf ball sized.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue tomatoes are ripening! ..with pic

Very nice!

o

I picked my first ripe Cherry Tomato two days ago :).

o

That isn't ripening you are showing. That's what you said it was - changing color "where the sun hits" them. The anthocyanin isn't there because of the ripening process.

Later they will ripen (red) like other tomatoes, from the blossom end up. Any part which receives bright light will stay purple.

If you want more purple on them; wait until you see the bottom coloring up (red), pick them and place the fruit in bright light rotating them towards the light source. That will encourage more anthocyanin being produced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here