Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliaspt

Tomatoes taking too long to ripen?

aliaspt
9 years ago

Hello,
This is my first post here and I'm growing tomatoes for the first time this year (so please bear with me). We're in South-East Michigan, and it's been raining every single week since spring. No watering required, so that has been convenient. However, I'm getting concerned if my tomatoes have overgrown and now may take a while to ripen. I have 3 varieties and one of them is a Russian determinate (Gemini). It was the first to set blossoms and make tomatoes, however, there is this largest tomato that's been sitting there for a long time (or I'm just getting very impatient) and I wonder if I let my tomatoes go too wild. They are super lush, every leaf is healthy and there are 3-5 branches coming out of each stem. The height is reaching over 6 feet for Pearly Pink tomatoes. They shot those branches before I realized what was happening. I now prune them regularly and remove suckers but I'm afraid to prune too much. My question is, do you know how long do Gemini take to ripen and do I need to remove more leaves/branches? Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures of tomatoes here

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

You just need more patience. :) Average from fruit set to color begins to develop is 40-50 days depending on variety. See link below and the many previous discussions here about 'how long till ripe'.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato truss timeline

• aliaspt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, thank you SO much for posting that link, it's very useful! I now realize that I am being paranoid and inpatient. :) It appears to be early still! I just hope to pick as many as possible before frosts hit considering how long they take to ripen. Bummer. Thanks again!

• hellonasty
    9 years ago

I was just going to post the same thing. I will read the link and be patient!

• scottsmith
    9 years ago

Thanks Dave

Great info........wait