Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Plants are Wilted.

Posted by Rex1234 N.W. Pa (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 12:03

My problem is when the Sun comes up, my Tomatoes Plants start to Wilt or Sag...I live in Town, and I have them planted next to the Side of my Garage, which is White Vinyle. They are Watered enought. Would the Sun be causing them to Wilt, because, when the Sun is off the Plants, they seem to Revive. If I Cover them, what Material and Color should I use, do I cover across the Tops of the Plants and down to the Ground ? or in between the White Siding and the Plants... Thank You Rex Ryan.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Plants are Wilted.

rig shade above the plants.

o

Thank You....Jean001a......What type of material should I use....White Sheet or Blue Tarp ?

o

I have one plant that is doing this as well. Earlier I thought it was a disease issue and almost pulled it. The plant has continued to put off new suckers and new fruit clusters but as soon as the sun rises it looks like a rag doll but then perks up after sunset.

Anyone know what causes this?

o

It's a normal reaction to the heat. As the plants get older and toughen up, it will happen less. Just make sure they're getting enough water.

I imagine that all the white vinyl just means more light, which leads to more productive plants.

o

Sounds like the excessive heat is causing the wilt.
Heat reflecting off the house is overheating them.
You can just leave and make sure there ie water aplenty.
If you want to shade them then buy shade cloth .

o

Probably heat refection off the house.
IF the plants are in good soil in the ground and watered very well which in this heat (100+ degrees)should be twice a day then they really shouldn't be wilting.

As long as the roots are large, no disease, good drainage, well watered then no wilting should really occur even in 105 degree temps.

Mine have yet to wilt this year and we have had over 108 degree temps.
I have one branch wilt the past 2 weeks only because a damn squirrel jumped up into it and broke that branch 2/3rds in half, only 1/3rd of the branch is supplying water to that whole part of the plant and it has about 20 tomatoes on it.
It wilts when over 95+ but is still hanging in there.

All the rest of the plants and rest of that plant never wilt at all though. and that fact tells you it is the lack of water supply doing the wilting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here