Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim6772

Pruden's not producing!

tim6772
10 years ago

This is my second attempt at tomatoes in containers. The first time I tried I lost them all to BER, which I think was due to poor soil mix.

This year I decided to try Romas and Prudens Purple. I started them from seeds in jiffy pots indoors in March. When they were a couple inches tall I put them outside during the day whenever it was above 50 degrees. Early may I potted them up to 1 gallon pots in the 5:1:1 mix with garden lime and Osmokote Plus mixed in. July 1st I potted some of both types up to 5 gallon pots and some up to 2 gallon pots (I didn't have enough 5 gallon pots for everybody). I fertilize once a day with a 1/2 strength MG general purpose solution and water 2-3 times a day depending on how hot it gets. They get full sun all day on our back patio on the south side of the house.

The Romas both 2 gal. and 5 gal. all have lots of blossoms and green tomatoes on them, but the Prudens aren't setting fruit in either pot size. They look good and have lots of beautiful blossoms but they always shrivel up and drop. I'm thinking about giving up on these for this year.

What can I do better or is this variety just very finicky?

Tim

Comments (7)

• Stellabee
    10 years ago

Is it possible that the daily fertilizing is causing an overload of nitrogen or other nutrient? I know that if tomatoes get too little or too much nitrogen that they basically shut down and don't produce. Of course, if the Romas are producing that may not be it, but if they are low on tomatoes too it just might be...

• aloha10
    10 years ago

I am not an expert but it seems to me that you are applying far too much fertilizer. My container toms get a handful of organic fertilizer at planting, another at blossom time. Been working for me for years. ,Prudens Purple is one of my favorite heirlooms but I do not grow indeterminate plants in containers.

• mandolls
    10 years ago

I have a Prudens Purple going. I believe its my third year with them. I have never gotten a lot of fruit to set on them, they may be more weather sensitive that others I have tried.

I grow in very different conditions to you. In a slightly raided bed, only 6 hours of sun and a much shorter growing season. Last year we had a lot of weather in the 90's mid-June thru mid-July, and many of my plants didnt set much fruit. This year it has been much cooler. Of my eight different varieties, all of them have about 15-20 tomatoes set so far, except for the Prudens Purple, I think it has 3-4. However it does have lots of blossoms right now and the temps are right (low 80s-high 60's) so I am still hopeful.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Thanks. I should remember NEVER plant Prudent, AND BrandyWine. Such a waste of time and space.

• tim6772
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I guess these are late bloomers. A couple weeks after posting I noticed the firsttiny fruits. Now I have about a dozen that are about 3" across. Some are starting to ripen. One even had a visitor!

• Bets
    10 years ago

What a cute little frog!

Glad to hear your Pruden's is producing well. It's been said many times, patice has its virtues. LOL!

I think I need to grow Pruden's Purple again, it's been a while. They were delicious when I last grew them.

Betsy

So many tomatoes, so little time!

This post was edited by bets on Sat, Aug 24, 13 at 12:11

• mandolls
    10 years ago

Yep - while last year mine didnt do well, My Pruden's has quite a lot of fruit this year. at least 30 going. I picked the first one last week and it was nice and big and delish! Probably the tastiest tomato so far this year.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County