Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just moved tomato to bigger pot leaves curling!!

Posted by hjarnan_storspelare Ca (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 12:24

I have heirloom Cherokee purple tomatoes and leaves are curling! Why!?!? Help please!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just moved tomato to bigger pot leaves curling!!

Well if I'm reading this right, you transplanted a very large tomato plant and now the plant is very stressed. There's a phrase for that. It's called "transplant shock". Give it time and a little shade and it might recover.

Rodney

o

I transplanted one just a couple of days ago myself. No wilting what so ever. You have to flood it to let the big pockets of air out.
Another reason for wilting is just due to very warm/hot weather. If it perks up at night then I would not worry

o

I've developed a little bit of a system for transplanting (or maybe I've discovered something everyone already knewlol). I like to move my plants out into the parking lot to get full sun and so I don't want to have to move a big pot until I have to. I've been using the black plastic pots that you buy for 89 cents or whatever. I buy them in several sizes. When the plant outgrows the pot, I water the plant really well and then I cut the bottom off of the smaller pot and place the whole thing in the bigger pot. Then I cut down the side and peel the smaller pot off completely, and fill up the rest of the big pot with soil.

Right now I have a yellow pear cherry tomato plant in a 5 gallon bucket and it has clearly outgrown it, but I am scared to death to attempt to transplant it. It is 6 feet tall, in a tomato ring cage and like 50000 bamboo stakes to supplement that stupid wimpy cage. It looked so small when I got it and since the tomatoes are small I thought it would be fine in a pot! (Which, now that I think about it, makes NO sense). Turns out they grow up to 12 feet high. whoops.

o

Thank you gues but I think I miss said. Few things the leaves were curled b4 I changed pots I got it like this and moved it to bigger pot because it was in a 1 gal ! Think it's just because it's hot!?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here