Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barryla61

Which of these 5 would you plant?

barryla61
12 years ago

Have been searching the net for info on the following.

Big Rainbow

Pine Apple

Persimmon

Kellogs Breakfast

KBX

I live in VA zone-7, hot humid summers.

Would like to try at least 2 of them next year.

Your opinions/suggestions please

Barry

Comments (9)

• californian
    12 years ago

The only ones on your list I tried were KBX and Kellogg's Breakfast. Even though some claim KBX is supposed to be the better of the two, in my garden plain old Kellogg's Breakfast was better, in fact it is one of my favorite tomatoes and one I plan to plant every year. I like them because they are so meaty and the flesh is such a beautiful yellow orange color. I just picked a monster. However they are subject to sun scald, I cover up ones sprawling on the ground with garbage can lids to prevent that.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Kellogg's Breakfast is the only one on your list I would consider planting again.

Dave

• coffeehaus
    12 years ago

A third endorsement of Kellogg's B. We're in central VA and have had good luck producing very large and delicious fruits of this variety over a number of growing seasons.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I've grown Persimmon up here on Long Island and it thrived, very tasty tomato too.

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Big Rainbow
    Pine Apple
    Persimmon
    Kellogs Breakfast
    KBX

I've grown all of them and where I live anbd garden if it had to be two I'd grow KBX and probably Big Rainbow since it's one of the better gold/red bicolors but I'm not a big fan of the general group, at least of the ones I've grown.

You say you've been searching on the net for info about them and I know the link To Tania's Tomato data base has been given many times here at GW but if you don't have it I'll link to it again.

I use the alphabetical way of going to the page for a given variety but you'll see from the home page that there's many ways to searchg for varieties.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Tania's Tomato Data base

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

I would [lant All of them and more

• bigdaddyj
    12 years ago

The only one I'd grow is KBX. If I didn't have KBX seed I'd grow KB and take my chance against CRUD....

• br33
    12 years ago

IMO KBX is only one worth growing. add Spudakee and Cowlicks. these 3 will give you all the variety you need. all are propductive and healthy. If you need seed PM me. good luck Bill

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

IMO KBX is only one worth growing. add Spudakee and Cowlicks. these 3 will give you all the variety you need. all are propductive and healthy. If you need seed PM me. good luck Bill

Bill I'm sure we could all add other varieties we'd prefer to sow seeds for, I know I would, ahem, but the poster asked just about the ones that were listed above. ( smile)

Carolyn, who would have a looongg alternative list indeed as I'm sure others might have as well. At least the poster is asking about varieties first before making some decisions and I much prefer to see that then the persons who ask about varieties where the seeds have already been sown or the plants already planted. And then whoa, it's much more difficult to critique a list knowing that seedlings are up, etc. ( smile)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus