Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which of these 5 would you plant?

Posted by barryla61 VA - 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 12:38

Have been searching the net for info on the following.

Big Rainbow
Pine Apple
Persimmon
Kellogs Breakfast
KBX

I live in VA zone-7, hot humid summers.
Would like to try at least 2 of them next year.
Your opinions/suggestions please
Barry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which of these 5 would you plant?

The only ones on your list I tried were KBX and Kellogg's Breakfast. Even though some claim KBX is supposed to be the better of the two, in my garden plain old Kellogg's Breakfast was better, in fact it is one of my favorite tomatoes and one I plan to plant every year. I like them because they are so meaty and the flesh is such a beautiful yellow orange color. I just picked a monster. However they are subject to sun scald, I cover up ones sprawling on the ground with garbage can lids to prevent that.

o

Kellogg's Breakfast is the only one on your list I would consider planting again.

Dave

o

A third endorsement of Kellogg's B. We're in central VA and have had good luck producing very large and delicious fruits of this variety over a number of growing seasons.

o

I've grown Persimmon up here on Long Island and it thrived, very tasty tomato too.

o

Big Rainbow
Pine Apple
Persimmon
Kellogs Breakfast
KBX

I've grown all of them and where I live anbd garden if it had to be two I'd grow KBX and probably Big Rainbow since it's one of the better gold/red bicolors but I'm not a big fan of the general group, at least of the ones I've grown.

You say you've been searching on the net for info about them and I know the link To Tania's Tomato data base has been given many times here at GW but if you don't have it I'll link to it again.

I use the alphabetical way of going to the page for a given variety but you'll see from the home page that there's many ways to searchg for varieties.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Tania's Tomato Data base

o

I would [lant All of them and more

o

The only one I'd grow is KBX. If I didn't have KBX seed I'd grow KB and take my chance against CRUD....

o

IMO KBX is only one worth growing. add Spudakee and Cowlicks. these 3 will give you all the variety you need. all are propductive and healthy. If you need seed PM me. good luck Bill

o

IMO KBX is only one worth growing. add Spudakee and Cowlicks. these 3 will give you all the variety you need. all are propductive and healthy. If you need seed PM me. good luck Bill

Bill I'm sure we could all add other varieties we'd prefer to sow seeds for, I know I would, ahem, but the poster asked just about the ones that were listed above. ( smile)

Carolyn, who would have a looongg alternative list indeed as I'm sure others might have as well. At least the poster is asking about varieties first before making some decisions and I much prefer to see that then the persons who ask about varieties where the seeds have already been sown or the plants already planted. And then whoa, it's much more difficult to critique a list knowing that seedlings are up, etc. ( smile)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here